[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Radio Interviews from the Home Office • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Radio Interviews from the Home Office

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Radio Interviews from the Home Office

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:51 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby WAHumor » Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:40 pm

WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby karadawn » Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:14 pm

karadawn

Postby webturtle » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:34 pm

Egads. That is pretty funny :) I don't have the issue of kids being around but I do have my WAH laughs just the same.

I was speaking with my programmer the other evening, rather late - he asked me to call after 9 pm - and was in the kitchen readying things for the next day. Every few days, I make a giant brew of decaf green tea sweetened with stevia and fill about 4 quart bottles in the fridge - its a change from drinking water all day. So I had my big cauldron brewing and absent mindedly starting pouring the hot tea into one of the containers, while talking to him about a web project and I HEARD him freeze in silence, mid sentence and I thought - what happened to him? And then it hit me - he heard the sound of the tea pouring into the container and thought I was in the bathroom!!!! Poor guy. I quickly told him what I was doing and heard him exhale - "oh. is THAT what you're doing?"

LOL

There are all sorts of ways to wreak havoc too - my kitchen is outside the office, so sometimes things will happen like I'll set off the smoke alarm while on the phone (client calls while i'm trying to fix some food and I forget about it), or I hit the "on" switch on the microwave and set off a flood of static on the cordless phone. I tend to pace when i'm on the phone - and i'm a consummate multi tasker so I can't JUST talk, I end up doing other mindless things while I'm talking. And sometimes I get caught.
webturtle

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:19 am

Ahhh - you dont want to get me started! :D

I used to homeschool the children, so we were all three home together all day every day. I had "rules", which the children followed very well. The phone rang one afternoon and I threw my hand up and snapped my fingers once (the signal that 'chaos' turns to 'silence' - now). The TV went off and the children ran off to go do whatever it is kids their age do when they're "playing quietly" - usually meant reading, homework or playing monopoly in the play room.

This all happens by the second ring - we had a good routine. I dont have a problem working in the midst of my children or the sounds of their playing, but like things to be quiet and not to be distracted when on the phone or when another adult is in the room.

So I take the call, and its a new client... which turns into a good 45 minutes to an hour on the phone as they have a 'rush project' and we are working out the details. Its going great, I've almost sealed the deal... and then I hear this awful noise coming from the kitchen - some kind of cracking or popping noise. I get up to investigate, still talking in the meantime, and then I round the corner into the kitchen and see lightning coming out of the microwave and my poor daughter standing there watching like this: :shock:

I made quick apologies to my client and put the phone down to stop the microwave and make sure Ann Marie was okay. When I picked the phone back up she was laughing - turns out she was a single mother of four herself :lol:

I was off the phone pretty quick after that and checked on my daughter. She said she wanted a snack and knew not to interrupt me while on the phone, so she decided to heat it up herself (aluminum foil and all). LOL I still get tickled when I remember the look on her face ( :shock: ) hehe.

Working from home usually always means that we have more than one thing going on at a time... it requires multi-tasking :!:

I'd love to hear more work-at-home stories... what do you do to maintain professionalism in the midst of household activities? What is your routine?

I have to say, Cheryl hit the nail on the head when she named her latest book :D
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby WAHumor » Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:53 am

WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby karadawn » Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:11 am

karadawn

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:09 pm

I found the link to the archive, though they havent yet posted it on the Entrepreneur Magazine E-Business Show web page...

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/wsradio ... gment1.asx

I was surprised that more of my "background noise" didnt come through during the show (thank goodness :roll: ). I did notice that I still seem to be stuck on that ONE word - "Absolutely" - :P I'm going to have to train myself not to say that during interviews anymore (LOL).
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby americanwahm » Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:04 pm

Thanks for posting Lynn! I am suffering withdrawal from talk radio :)

Kelly
americanwahm
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:07 pm

I really love the concept of Internet Talk Radio, too :D

Some of my favorite (current) shows are:

The Mom Show at wsRadio.com
MomsTown at WorldTalkRadio.com
Writers Roundtable at WorldTalkRadio.com

... among others. What are your favorite shows? Know of good e-Stations other than wsRadio & World Talk Radio?? I would love to hear a few more!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby americanwahm » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:22 pm

Ok, it's time for me to open a new thread on my business journal!

:) Kelly
americanwahm
Elite Member

Postby WAHumor » Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:46 pm

WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby Barbara Camisa » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:40 pm

Hey Lynn,

Congrats on your interview :D I look forward to hearing that.

It's been many moons since my 3 'kids' were tots (there really is life after 50). I give you gals a lot of credit running a biz from home with little ones around!

I mainly listen to music on web radio. The first and only talk show I had tuned into is MikeLitman.com since I had met him at a couple of seminars and had a lot of fun hanging out with him and his partner Jason Oman.

The only other talk show I've listened to is the Mary Goulet show, from Lynn's link. I enjoyed that session with Lynn and Becky Hagel.

Lynn, did you count your uhs, ohs and 'you knows'? :lol: I just joined Toastmasters recently since I happened along one of their meetings with a friend. I aim to polish up my Brooklynese :lol: Just before that meeting, I attended a 'Listening' class which I flunked and almost got thrown out of 'cause I talk too much :P

Btw, you can get head phones to block out background noise at HelloDirect.com.
Barbara Camisa

More home biz stories

Postby optioncart » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:08 pm

optioncart

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:01 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Next

Return to Home Office Talk