[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Anyone here tried/does GTD? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Anyone here tried/does GTD?

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Anyone here tried/does GTD?

Postby Ruud » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:47 pm

Seems like an effective way to stay on top of things. I like the name: Getting Things Done. And better yet, as a gadget freak I'm happy to see they even have a plugin for Outlook.

I've been working like this for about a week. So far, so good. But I wanted to ask on a non-GTD forum; elsewhere you get these semi-religious responses almsot...

So, do you know about it? Heard about it? Used it? Use it? Like it?
Ruud

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:54 am

I hadnt heard of it. Can you give us a link?

Thanks!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Ruud » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:21 pm

Sure. It's by . shows the basic flow of things. has some great links.

Hope that helps.
Ruud

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:46 pm

Thanks for the links! I'd be interested in the GTD book - looks like it may prove very helpful for focus & productivity. Have you read the book yet, and if so - your thoughts?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Ruud » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:19 pm

No, I'm winging it without the book. Using the basic principles as I've read them around. There was a time in my life that I read 7-10 books a week. Now, stay-at-home dad and self-employed, I'm happy if I read one page per week...

Some things that are good about GTD: trust in you. This is not another priority-based list. When you look at a project you know very well which things are most important. Simple mark an action, or an action within a project, with a @next action.

A what?

David travels a lot at puts his actions in context: @call, @home, @computer, etc. If he is waiting at an aiport he cannot work at computer tasks.. so he pulls up his @call list: that he can do.

For many of us that is less useful; just use whatever @next works for you. Many things I simply mark @next (no context). Through the day I work through that list. At the end of the day, or when an action is finished, you look at your list: if this was the only thing you ever needed to accomplish, which action, which step would you take next? Mark that one @next - and your task list for tomorrow is ready.

GTD is especially great for dealing with your email Inbox:

- Actionable & can be done in 2-5 minutes? Do now. Reply. Delete email (if I need info that was in the email it either will be in my Sent box or I have the relevant part c&p stored).

- Actionable but takes longer? Create a Task out of it (includes original email body), mark it with the action needed to be taken. Delete email.

- Actionable & someone else needs to do it? Forward, delete original. Set reminder 3 days from now to check if it has been done, person responded, etc.

- Not actionable? Could be reference material. Do I need the whole thing? Usually not. So I C&P the relevant bit in my freeform database. Delete email.

- Not actionable & not reference? Delete.

The idea is to touch an email once. Don't let it sit, go back, sit, etc. just because you put something off. Decide on it: action, someday/maybe, reference, delete.
Ruud

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:49 pm

I love the concept!

I'll check it out further ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Return to Home Office Talk