[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Great new section! • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Great new section!

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Great new section!

Postby karadawn » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:27 pm

Wow I almost missed this one Lynn - I've been so into the journals that I'm not seeing much else of the forum these days LOL.

Anyway, I think this is a wonderful idea :). For those of you that don't have children, or you men that do and your wife takes after them.......you don't have a clue as to how difficult is. If you never worked at home, by yourself, with little ones running around - really you would never know! My house is a constant mess, and gets torn up just as fast as I pick it up. Just because you are home all day does NOT mean the house should be spotless. Think about it this way: if you are working a full time job outside the house, what would happen if your kids were home all day by themselves ? And I'm talking little kids, not even ones that can pick up after themselves or get brainwashed by a video game. Your house would be completely trashed right? Well that's exactly what happens here, every day. Sure I catch MOST of the major messes in progress - such as a kid in the fridge about to dump eggs on the floor or in the bathroom flushing some important item, or in the living room with a smuggled glass of water dumping it on the TV (I'm on my second TV, VCR, and Dish receiver since my son turned 3 a few months ago).

Alright enough complaining.......but seriously.......HOW do you keep up with the kiddos while you work as well?

You simple CAN'T! Accept your house being scattered with toys for the next 10-15 years, but just take a few minutes each day to pick up and vaccum or do a load of laundry, or do the dishes.

Personally I tend to let a lot of it sit until Thursday when I listen to the Mary Goulet show while cleaning my entire downstairs. First I pick up all the toys in the living room, then I run the vaccum durring the commercials, then I start picking up the front room/dining room (also where the computer is), pick up Jillian's mat under her high chair and clean it up, vaccum again, then move to the kitchen. I have a similar routine on Sundays where I try my hardest to not even turn the computer on before I get at least some housework done.

Twice a week I manage to pry myself from the computer and get a whole lot done in a short amount of time. Now if I did 10 minutes of picking up every day that would be almost silly since it would get trashed again the next day (now remember its the same toys getting drug out every day, so really just picking them up twice a week to vaccum is makes more sense!)

Now one of my biggest problems is laundry. It's not a problem getting it done, but it is a problem getting it put away. Seriously we live out of the laundry room. My clothes haven't hung in the closet for months! My main problem is the bedrooms are upstairs, where I can't take the baby. My room has too much for her to get into, but I can't clean it because I can't take her up there! Also, I can't put away my clothes when she is alseep because we only have a 2 bedroom house so her crib is in my room. I suppose I really should be doing it when she takes naps, but I always feel like I should be getting computer work done instead. Since she takes 2 naps a day, maybe I should be putting away clothes durring one nap and working durring the next? Heck I work all day anyway, I should be taking more breaks :?

Ok there I go rambling again.....and just think my laundry could have been put away by now if I hadn't been blabbering LOL (no just kidding - Jillian is asleep!)
karadawn

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:01 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby americanwahm » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:10 am

americanwahm
Elite Member

Postby karadawn » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:45 am

karadawn

Postby karadawn » Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:53 am

karadawn

Re:

Postby wahmcafe » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:01 pm

wahmcafe

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:16 pm

I dont generally go to bed until 12 or 1 either :P I either sleep 10-4 or 12/1-5/6 ~ whatever I can manage. I'd like to get on a more "regular" schedule, but I also like having the liberty of sleeping and working whenever I want! ;)

I'm *definitely* not a morning person :shock: - 2-3 hours to "get in my groove" minimum LOL. But during that time I can do mindless tasks such as sorting email, confirming this or that, resizing images, etc etc etc.

As for the interruptions - whether in person, on the phone or by chat... {sigh} that is one of my biggest issues. I hate to be rude... and even more than that, I hate being put in the position of being rude and then being told what they think of me (or my attitude... or "you work too much" - that one really gets on my nerves) :roll: .

I agree Kara - when it comes to HTML, writing, cgi/php or any type of scripting, a major graphics project, etc - interruption is very frustrating. I think that people dont realize this... or maybe they dont realize that we're actually working ??

There has to be a way to handle this problem with distraction - without being rude or alienating all of your friends... I just havent figured out what it is yet. (being nice doesnt work LOL!)

Its easy enough to unplug the phone, lock the door and pull the shades - both of which I do often :P - but then there's those few that will not stop knocking until you answer... or will leave you thirteen thousand voice mail messages... or :shock: use "guilt" to ruin your day. The instant messengers are frustrating too - I keep one of them on in case my family needs to reach me, but stay in invisible mode. I also turned off all the "bells" and fixed it so that the window didnt pop up on top of everything else (thats aggravating when you're airbrushing itty bitty pixels!)... :roll: I just wish *everybody* would email me - that would make my life so much easier. If my neighbor needs to borrow a cup of sugar - email me! LOL

Blah - I'm done griping. The truth is... we have to be available to some extent. Its called Customer Service ;) Perhaps we should write an article on "work at home etiquette", though - I think most people just dont understand that we're already dealing with more than enough distraction as it is... and maybe this isnt their problem. Maybe its on us to be "less available" or to make our point clear about what we can and cannot do, and when we can and cannot do it. There has to be some balance to it somewhere ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby karadawn » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:45 pm

Ok here's the kind of chit chat that I think bothers me the most - when someone IMs you EVERY DAY to just say "how's the weather?" or other pointless ramblings. I don't mind at all when someone pops up to say "hey can I get your opinion" or "I need to talk to someone".....and those that know me well enough know I'm online most the time on invisible, and also know I don't really mind being IMed. I hate when I forget to turn off my MSN messenger or AIM, since there are other irritating people there. Luckily the bulk of them are on Yahoo which automatically is on invisible when I start up the computer. ;)

Lynn - I agree we do need a "work at home etiquette" article - and funny you should mention "we" because I was just thinking the other day about both of us writting an article or two. Seems we cover the same topics from time to time anyway LOL.

Anyway, basically I think we shouldn't but someone for pointless reason every day. Help is one thing, I understand that. Congrats on something, yeah that's ok too (who doesn't want to be praised? :D ). Exciting news, sure I'd love to hear about it! But to call or IM someone and talk about what you plan to do for the day - EVERY DAY - down to what you are cooking and who is comming for the weekend....please spare us! I don't have time for that kind of thing, and it's annoying when you are in the middle of something. That's why message boards and chat rooms were created ;)

Ok that's just my opinion, and I really hope you all don't think I'm rude! :oops:
karadawn

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:54 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby karadawn » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:12 pm

karadawn

Postby WAHumor » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:27 am

Wow...another GREAT category, Lynny!!!

And maybe even a good source of content???

All hail Lynny! :D
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby Tam » Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:31 pm

Tam

Postby Anita DeFrank » Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:05 pm

Anita DeFrank

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:43 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby karadawn » Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:00 pm

ROFL - sorry Dan, you know us work-at-home-MOMS have to stick together. :p by the way, how's your WAHD site comming? You gentlemen making plans yet??

Thanks for reminding me about your newsletter Anita - you want me to polish it up for you and send it over? I'm lacking motivation today - planted my behind on the couch several hours ago to spend time with my daughter and couldn't get back up LOL. :shock:
karadawn

Next

Return to Home Office Talk