[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Working at home with kids • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Working at home with kids

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Working at home with kids

Postby webturtle » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:16 pm

As many of you know, I don't have children - the only thing that ever distracts me in my home office is the big bushy tail of Oscar walking across my lap. And I'm also a huge advocate home business. But I found myself experiencing something today that i thought many of you would have an opinion on.

I was listening to a podcast about a man with a very unique service. He was being interviewed from his home office, for about an hour. At the onset, he told the interviewer that he worked at home and his first and primary job was stay at home dad. I thought "bravo - good for you." But then as the interview proceeded, one of the kids in the background started crying. And crying. And crying. And on he talked. Then an older kid got in on the act and you hear CRASH! SCREAM! WAAAAH! And on he talked. The kids continued shrieking until they became muffled - I think he closed a door to block the noise. But in the background, the continued wailing and yelling of (I think) two kids permeated the entire interview. And still he talked.

I was kind of amazed. On one hand, I thought - "holy smokes - are they okay"? On another hand, I thought "shouldn't he have gotten someone to watch the kids while he took the interview?" If i was these kids mother - I'd be furious that they were left screaming and possibly killing each other for a half hour. Plus, it came across REALLY unprofessional - in some ways it irritated me because it was SUCH the stereotype of work at home parenting - and why there is still such bias against working at home types. As a business person, I don't think I'd want to work with a guy who conducted phone conversations that way. And yet, I had a lot of sympathy because I SIMPLY CAN'T IMAGINE trying to get anything done with kids underfoot :) But so many of you DO that - without your professionalism suffering. Some of you even make a business out of the humor of it (dan!) and I applaud that.

I'm curious - your opinions, thoughts, ideas... what could he have done differently? What do you do? If you found yourself on the phone wtih someone like that (and so publicly - whoa, his interview is forever podcasted!) what would you do? If you were on the phone and all hell broke loose, what would you do? The whole thing totally rattled me because its a perspective I've never considered here. The worse I've ever dealt with is that my landline is dangerously near the cat litter box and sometimes my interviews are, um, congested :)
webturtle

Postby webturtle » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:29 pm

Oops, i just discovered there is a whole fascinating and informative other thread on this topic. Should have known! Well, that kind of answers my questions but if anyone has a comment on this particular experience, you can drop it here, I suppose :)

ALL of you WAHMs and WAHDs thoroughly amaze me!
webturtle

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:21 pm

This is a good topic, Eileen!

I would have NEVER gone on that way, personally. But then, "one sharp look" usually fixes any problems that occur while I'm on the phone :twisted: :lol:

Seriously... Professionalism is important, and any work-at-home parent should take at least normal business situations into consideration in their daily routine - and in what they expect of their children. Phone calls, for example, or unexpected company.

My children have been "underfoot in the office" since they were very young - 5 months and 5 years. When Ann Marie was a baby and I had a local business, everyone thought she was cute on my hip while I filled out work orders, answered the phone and such. At 8 years, it's NOT so cute when she whines "mama, mama, mama" while I am on the phone with a potential client :P

We have little signs. The "sharp look", the snap of my fingers - or my leaving the room when they try to speak to me while I am on the phone. They get the message - it had better wait till Mom gets done ;)

Even with younger children, it's important to teach them what you expect of them. Mine have been taught that when Mom has company, they should busy themselves outdoors or in their room (not under our feet). Also, when the phone rings, I expect them to entertain themselves.

With an interview, it's really great (!!) if it is scheduled while they are off at school or on a playdate. Otherwise I prepare them in advance, ask them what they plan to do during that time and make sure they are set up to do just that... and I usually set the timer and give it to them so they know "how much longer" without asking ;)

Then I go in another room - usually at the opposite end of the house :lol: - and close the door!

As for how he handled it... I dont think it came off as professional OR that being a stay at home father was a top priority. He could have at least threw them a pack of hot dogs :lol: :lol: :lol: (so kidding!!). Seriously, if they were okay (no danger) and just being really really naughty - I would have stepped outside (WAY outside). It's hard to say... I'm just glad it wasnt me!!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby netadventures » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:36 pm

netadventures

Postby WAHumor » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:56 pm

It's true, y'know...

Lynny's "sharp look" has been known to cut through solid steel.

A little preparation would have done the trick for this guy. My only issues during interviews and recordings has been my beagle deciding to chime in very audibly (who remembers THAT one??) and my wife inexplicably bursting in to inquire when I would be finished (It was during the evening, which I try to keep as family time as much as possible).

She's much quieter now. Bwaaaaaaaaah Ha Ha Haaaaa!!!

Oh, alright...I'm kidding...

Keep everybody on the same page about what you're doing and you avoid 98% of those mishaps.

Eileen, my heart was touched by your story. My kids should arrive on or about the 25th.

Enjoy the summer!!
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby webturtle » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:31 pm

Er... arrive WHERE?
webturtle

Postby WAHumor » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:52 pm

After growing up in Pittsfield, I know that Albany is just beautiful this time of year... :twisted:
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby webturtle » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:33 pm

webturtle

Postby Jeff Casmer » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:40 pm

Jeff Casmer

Postby PattyGale » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:59 am

These are great stories, indeed. When my boys were little I was not working at home, but they also had each other to occupy themselves and play games with (or beat each other up.. ha ha!).

The boys are now off to college, so with my daughter, it's a totally different story. It's just her and me, so she thinks that I'm her playmate sometimes.. well, most of the time.

I guess my "sharp look" isn't sharp enough although I do the finger-snap thing, too, which usually does the trick.

It's like as soon as you get on the phone, it's their cue to start asking you a million questions. Must be an innate thing or something.

We just relocated to a new city (new state) and she is so ready for pre-school in the fall. We're going to start checking some out this coming week.

I try to get most of my work done in the mornings and then the evenings. I usually stop right after lunch and then she and I have the whole afternoon to do something fun.

Patty
PattyGale

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:10 pm

It's pretty much the same here, Patty. Ann Marie is only 8 - just a few months short of 9. My son is almost 14yo and has his own little social life and such... but Ann Marie still depends on me for entertainment :)

Having just moved to a new neighborhood - and being out of school for the summer - she is feeling pretty bored lately. Lonesome for her old friends and schoolmates, no doubt. It makes it tough some days, if I have a lot of things to do around the house especially.

I have been looking for a teenager to babysit once or twice a week - simply to give Ann Marie something FUN to do with someone she enjoys hanging out with. I finally found a 16yo that is available, so we are going to try that out next week (fingers crossed!).

Aside from that, she attends church (where she has lots of friends) and I am signing her up for a new dance class one evening a week too next week.

It can be tough to keep them entertained, and to also try to work full time (or even part time) - definitely a 'balancing act'. But I am very grateful (every day!!) to be home with her full time and to have the opportunity to spend the days with her that I do. Like you I often work early in the morning and also in the evenings during the summer months - and take a lot of work on the go (books, binders & laptop) for trips to the park, pool, etc.

Just yesterday we took off and - which she TOTALLY enjoyed! :D

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Return to Home Office Talk