[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Eye strain with computer • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Eye strain with computer

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Eye strain with computer

Postby avrr » Sat May 07, 2005 4:45 pm

Hi,

What everybody doing to minimize eye strain at your computer desk, apart from screen filter, setting the monitor a little below the eyes.

I want to listen from all of you :)
avrr

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat May 07, 2005 10:12 pm

The computer doesnt really seem to bother my eyes, except that they seem a little more sensitive nowadays in direct sunlight than they did a few years ago...

Have you had your eyes checked?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Ladan Lashkari » Wed May 11, 2005 2:56 am

Ladan Lashkari

Postby avrr » Sat May 14, 2005 9:24 am

avrr

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat May 14, 2005 10:42 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby stephfoster » Sat May 14, 2005 4:04 pm

When we first got married I had the worst time getting my huband to take the computer monitor off the little stand his desk came with. He just didn't see how it could cause problems.

I used to work at the phone company, and they were real sticklers for ergonomics. We had meetings about twice a year on the topic. I loved the desks! You could adjust EVERYTHING - desk height, keyboard height, monitor height. If you wanted to work standing, the desk could go high enough for that. It was much nicer than having to sit the entire shift.
stephfoster

Postby Kevin Robb » Sat May 14, 2005 5:48 pm

Hi All,

Some good points raised here but as one that has just endured a rather painful eye operation I learnt something valuable from my surgeon.

That is; Most of us have the monitor brightness control wound up a little high, if you wind it back a little you will be amazed at the difference and it will be considerably better for the long term health of your eyes.

Cheers :wink:

Kevin Robb
Kevin Robb

Postby avrr » Sat May 14, 2005 10:32 pm

avrr

Postby VacationGuy » Tue May 17, 2005 8:18 am

The changing distance thing is supposed to be important. If you have multiple monitors, set them at different heights and distances from your eyes.

Variety is supposed to be the best defence against repetitve motion injuries. Change your seat height, keyboard angle, monitor height occasionally. My neck and back suffer if my monitor stays in exactly the same position for too long. I tried to adjust things once a month at least. Now that I have a laptop this is much less an issue.
VacationGuy

Postby McNulty » Tue May 17, 2005 9:36 am

Good point VacationGuy.

I also find that around this time of year, eye strain can be more noticeable due to allergies an such. I know when I get congested I sometimes get very motion-sick or even just eye-strain from the screen. I havem't found a cure really, but it is good to have found the connection.
McNulty

Postby emeradyl » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:17 am

emeradyl

Postby rodgerc » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:42 pm

I used to have a lot of problems with eye strain and minor headaches. Sometimes in the back of my head, other times it felt like it was right behind the eyes.

I went to the eye doctor and found out I have very slight astigmatism (irregularly shaped cornea or lens) in one eye. It was so minor that I never noticed it before, but it was enough to cause problems when staring at the computer all day long.

Turns out it is one of the most common vision problems, and it is so easy to fix with glasses.

I got new reading glasses that I only use while working on the computer. The headaches went away, and I haven't had any other vision problems since.

I go in for a yearly checkup, and my prescription has only changed once in the last seven years!

Rodger Constandse

rodgerc
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:01 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Jeff Casmer » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:14 am

Jeff Casmer

Postby McRalphe » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:17 am

with an LCD, is there still a need for filter?
McRalphe

Next

Return to Home Office Talk