[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Some valuable q's for Ebusiness owners • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Some valuable q's for Ebusiness owners

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Is there an existing comprehensive web based app that handles all your ebusiness needs?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:53 am

Yes
No votes
No
50%
Not applicable / Would never work
50%

Total votes : 2

Some valuable q's for Ebusiness owners

Postby eyecircus » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:53 am

Greetings All! :D

This seems like a great, friendly and helpful forum, so I thought i'd drop in and see if you could answer some questions i have.

To tell you a little about myself: My name is Morgan Newall and i'm currently enrolled in a small business development program in Sydney, Australia which runs alongside a 'small business management' course. The primary context of the course revolves around the creation of a business plan and im planning for an 'ebusiness' which will be operated and administered through the web.

I have done a ton of 'secondary research' and have all kinds of ideas and percentages, yet have come to stage where i'm looking for dialogue & feedback from ACTUAL operators - people that have started and run successful (YOUR definition of successful) e-business operations from scratch. Solo entrepreneurs, one person operations, independent operators and micro-businesses.
I'm especially interested in creating a comprehensive web application for managing this business and want to know how other people operate theirs.

So in the interests of collating this information i've sketched up a questionaire, i'm sure i'm not asking some probably very needed questions, so if there are any you'd like to add - please do so. This way this could be a useful insight to how each other operates - perhaps with a view to creating an email survey to send to thousands - with the data available to all! How about that!?

So without further ado, the questionaire!

QUESTIONAIRE:

1. In running your business what software/scripts/modules do you most depend on?
(pls list in order of importance): 1: 2: 3: 4: 5: 6: 7:

2. Can you describe the essential elements (possibly non-existent) of a software toolset for running an e-business?

3. Do you commonly work with remote workers/consultants/contractors regularly in your business (say twice a month)? Y / N
If so, what software/resources do you use in communicating with them?
If regularly working with remote contracters/partners/etc how do you plan/manage your workflow, sign-offs, etc?

4. Of the following software categories rate according to your dependence on it: 0-5 (there is some overlap, yet usually operators will use on or the other )
CRM
CMS
ERP
CONTROL PANEL
GROUPWARE
ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT

5. What do you see as the primary challenge to successful ebusiness operations in the following categories?
a) Operations & Management:
b) Marketing & Sales:
c) Customer/Accounts Management:
d) Personal/Team management:

6. Do you know of any comprehensive toolsets specifically built for ebusiness to manage site content (CMS), customers (CRM), sales (ecommerce), and managing projects (ERP, GroupWARE, etc)?
Would you be interested in such a product?
What price would you pay for such a product?
eyecircus

Postby Sandra » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:20 pm

Hi Morgan,

Welcome to the forum. Wow, that is an extensive questionaire!

I think the software an ebusiness owner uses is quite variable based upon their business model. The needs would be different for various businesses: physical products, downloadable products, or if the site is simply a lead generation vehicle.

There are a number of software products out there that come close to the comprehensive solution, such as and Yahoo stores. These are good products for solo web business owners and small businesses.

Other software packages offer different solutions, such as shopping cart, autoresponder, etc. bundled in one application such as .

Most webhosting companies include Fantastico scripts and CMS sytems like Wordpress or PHPNuke, databases, webstats, etc. Sometimes the quality of the products bundled in the webhosting is not as high as if these software packages were purchased separately.

Best of luck to you with your project.

Sandra
Sandra
Elite Member

Postby eyecircus » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:05 am

Hi Sandra,

Thanx for your reply.

I am aware of the software packages you mentioned, yet what i'm really getting from the variety of forums i posted on is - i'm asking the wrong questions in the wrong places!!
I was hoping to get an overview of what people are using to run their business; albeit diverse, then compare.

It's all research, and i've definitely learnt something!

Thanx again,

;]
morgan
eyecircus

Postby Sandra » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:38 pm

Hi Morgan,

I know what you mean, I've done surveys before only to realize that the questions were either too specific, too broad or totally off base. I'm glad that your research is going well anyway. You might look at using a survey service like surveymonkey.com to make it easier for people to reply.

Here's a list of the software that I personally use:
autoresponder - aweber.com
webhosts - bluehost.com, lunarpages.com
cpanel (provided by webhosts)
website statistics - awstats (provided by webhosts; currently considering other stats packages like webtrends & hitslink)
Dreamweaver
Word Press
Blogger
Microsoft Office
Keywords Analyzer
Wordtracker
Paypal
SEO Elite
PDF Create by ScanSoft
Probably a few others I can't think of right now :wink:

Sandra
Sandra