[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Toast :: Software or food? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Toast :: Software or food?

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Toast :: Software or food?

Postby Teena » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:07 pm

I've been working online for a couple of hours this morning at home, and just went to make some toast and latte, popped the bread in and pushed the lever.

Within a couple of seconds of the elements starting to warm up,
*something* jumped out of the toaster, landed on my hand which I shook vigorously while screaming [the creature was very soft and was just as scared as I was] and it took off under the kettle!!!!

It scared the **** out of me!

Iknew it wasn't a spider, but I thought it was a mouse or some other little creature native to the tropical rainforest here.

So in true Harrison Ford the adventurer style, I gingerly moved the toaster (now very hot) and the kettle, and this little faster-than-lightning creature zipped around and I couldn't see what it was.

It finally stood stock still.

Probably hoping I couldn't see it.

... and it was a baby gecko, only about 2 inches / 5cm long!

Oh the poor wee thing! it was nearly toasted!

..... hopefully he'll tell all his mates to stay up around the ceiling - kitchen bench isn't so safe after all, hahah

And people wonder why we'd rather work from home? Wonder why we don't like the confines of a corporate office environment? And *miss* all this??? Never!

Hope you're all having a fabulous productive day,
Cheers,
Gecko-Girl, Teena!
Teena

Postby WAHumor » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:39 pm

I'd love to use your story, Teena.

That's solid gold WAHumor!!
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby Teena » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:47 pm

Hey Dan,

Glad you like it! :D

I haven't gone back to the kitchen just in case that gecko baby has melted feet stuck to my bench hahaha

:oops: I felt bad about that comment, so just went to have a squizz and it's nowhere in sight, so must've been ok, just frightened.

Thanks for wanting to publish it, and the answer is yes! Let me know where it appears.

Ciao,
Teena!
Teena

Postby Teena » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:05 am

Dan,

Forgot to tell you - the article appears on my site, so you can grab the Resource Box etc from there.

Cheers
Teena
Teena

Postby ashley3471 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:46 am

We recently returned after living in Mexico for 3 years. While working online from there I was always in my bare feet until....one day I working on the computer after coming downstairs in bare feet.

I saw a scorpion on the floor and since it looked dead I covered it with a paper towel...even respect in death for a scorpion LOL. Then I waiting for the other half to come down so he could dispose of the little critter.

Problem was...he was gone. Never went around in my bare feet again after that close call!! :roll:
ashley3471

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:38 pm

Ack :shock: I imagine not!

Around the lakes and mountains here in Tennessee, we have scorpions. Not the deadly kind, mind you, but they certainly have their sting and can be very potent (affecting the central nervous system) in the Spring of the year.

Before I moved to town, I lived in a lakeside cabin on the side of a cliff. Beautiful, but infested with scorpions (and other backwoods critters). Asking my exterminator, I was told the only way to get rid of them was to MOVE (lol), so I got used to them. Fortunately we were never stung, though there were some very close calls.

I was sitting at my desk one day and just happened to look up... and there was a HUGE scorpion on the ceiling right over my head. Upon closer inspection, it was a mother scorpion - with thousands of babies hatching on her back :shock:

Obviously I didnt want that to fall in my lap - or worse, for them to scatter throughout the house... so I acted before I gave it much thought and grabbed a nearby cup and the stool, and stepped up and put the cup over the scorpion.

Then I stood there on that stool, with one hand holding the cup... and realized I didnt have anything handy to hold over the top of it so I could move the cup and carry it out (without ticking off a mother scorpion and ending up with all of them crawling up my arm!) :roll:

Home office critters... I have quite a few good stories on that topic :lol: I think the flying squirrel was one of the best LOL.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Teena » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:28 pm

Oh Lynn I had to laugh at the image of you up that ladder with the cup over the scorpion, haha!

I don't want to expand on this story, but not long ago I thought there was a giant stick insect of interest to my cat Mooshie down the side of the phone cupboard, and at her insistence finally checked it out. Black snake. I must've gone all the colours of a rainbow before the blood left my face and before the horrific terrified shakes set in :!:

I had to phone for reinforcements and it was captured, but boy did it scare me! I had visions of waking up with one wrapped around my head in the search for warmth!!! :shock:

There was a gap of 1"/2.5cm under my front door, which was fitted with a rubber protector as soon as the stores opened!

Brrrrrrrrr ... gives me shivers just thinking about it!

Teena
Teena

Postby PattyGale » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:34 am

Oh my!!!

baby gecko's and scorpion's? This is why I could never live in any type of tropical climate.

Bugs are almost big enough to be considered small pets and reptiles hopping around my toast are not my thing. I can't even stand the site of a "daddy long legs."

Give me the good ol' winter with lots of snow skiing and I am a very happy camper.

<<<<< (notice the ski sweater in the avatar)

Patty
PattyGale

Postby WAHumor » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:04 am

Geckos and snakes and scorpions...Oh my!

The only animal story I have involves finding a dead bird in my son's snow boot.

Geez... :roll:

So what about that flying squirrel, Lynny?
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:24 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby WAHumor » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:43 am

WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby Teena » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:16 pm

Oh Lynn I love it! hahahahahaha

Teena!
Teena