[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Network Connection • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Network Connection

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Network Connection

Postby kev » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:50 pm

Hi Gang,

I hope this is the right area to post this question.

I just received my second computer from a Boxing Day Sale.
I have high speed broadband connection. I wish to share the
the one internet connection.

From what I understand,I need a wireless router. I noticed that
their is plenty different types. I want to keep as strong as
possible connection. Can anyone share with me what type
of router I should be looking for? I hope I can purchase one
tonight.

Thanks,Kevin
kev
Elite Member

Consider this

Postby Warren Contreras » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:04 pm

If you want a strong connection with maximum speed, don't use wireless. The only time this makes sense is if you can't find a way to run a cable between locations. Using cable is faster and cheaper where wireless is only more convenient.

If you stick with well known brands you will be fine.
Warren Contreras

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:09 pm

True. I use a wireless router because I also have a laptop on the network that shares the DSL connection. VERY convenient, and maybe $150 total investment. Not bad.

If both of your systems are stationary (vs mobile), then a standard router and networking cable should do the trick.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby sugarrae » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:07 pm

sugarrae
Elite Member

Postby DeadInToIt » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:52 pm

If you go wireless, be sure you are up to speed on the potential
security issues and PROTECT yourself.
DeadInToIt

Postby Jennifer Hadorn » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:01 am

Look up "war driving" for information on potential security threats. You'll want to make sure the signal is encrypted and NOT with the standard encryption codes that come with the router.

Don't ask me how I know that ;).
Jennifer Hadorn

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:32 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby nsusa » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:09 am

nsusa

Return to Home Office Talk