[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Does Anyone Have Any Suggestions About How To Stay Focused? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Does Anyone Have Any Suggestions About How To Stay Focused?

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Postby americanwahm » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:27 am

americanwahm
Elite Member

Postby WAHumor » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:39 am

WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby kdwells » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:59 am

kdwells

Write a plan and stick to it

Postby jimclary » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:39 pm

I know that everyday life can really get in the way. I am a BIG believer in having a work schedule written down, and forcing myself to stick to it.

Planning is a very important part of developing a successful business.

I posted an article on this in the articles area. You can see it here:
http://www.selfstartersweeklytips.com/f ... 0817#20817

Jim Clary
jimclary

Postby Teena » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:00 am

Man, I feel totally disorganised!

Kimberly your tips were great - instead of a webpage with all my links etc on it, I have a bit of software (I use a mac at home) called DragThing which I love, and I can drag links and docs and apps to layouts accessible by named tabs.

It's so cool, I've been using it for a couple of years.

As for distractions, I must be the Queen of Google Distractions ... if someone tracked my daily clicking I'm sure they'd have a great laugh!

At least I have now started to use the Bookmarks/File Bookmarks feature in Netscape, so every site I accidentally come across which I like, I just bookmark it for a rainy day when I have time (ideas for articles and newsletters get bookmarked into an area called Articles).

I seem to work better when I work on several projects at once, but if push comes to shove I can work on just one ... usually right up until deadline, haha. "Works well under pressure," I've been told. :shock:

Hmm what else works for me? Because I use both right and left side of my brain each day, I often take a break from the computer and projects and go do some painting (in the same room - I'm a textile artist as well) for an hour or so, then come back. Hey, it seems to work for me!

It's fascinating to see how similar we all can be in trying to be more organised - good luck everyone!

Cheers
Teena (at 2am on Tues 18/1 and I simply must go to bed now!)
Teena

Postby Jason Moffatt » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:37 am

I just got my free bottle of "Focus Factor" today in the mail.
Will let you know how it works, hahaha
Jason Moffatt
Elite Member

Postby wwwEcoBoomercom » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:28 am

Focus Factor- WHAT?
wwwEcoBoomercom

Postby kdwells » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:35 am

Send some of that Focus Factor my way, will you? ;)
kdwells

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:21 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby theuniek1 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:08 pm

theuniek1

Postby netadventures » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:06 pm

netadventures

Postby theuniek1 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:29 pm

theuniek1

Top Ten Ways to Stay Focused

Postby DeadInToIt » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:14 pm

Charles,

This is a bit of a long read, but you ask. All of the suggestions above
certainly deserve consideration.

Focus takes among other things, .

It takes Powerful Intentions with real and believable purpose.

I found this article about 2 years ago and have used it as gospel ever
since.

The Top Ten Ways to Stay Focused on Your Objectives
by Michael Angier

People often ask me what I think are the most important keys to achieving successful outcomes. There are many, but the one thing that I see as being the most essential—and often ignored—is consistency.

Any worthwhile, challenging goal requires sustained effort. Doing the things necessary for a day or two isn't hard. Where most people fall down is in stringing those days together and thereby creating the progress, the momentum, and ultimately, the successful accomplishment.

What follows are ten ways to maintain your focus, your energy and your optimism while pursuing your goal. They've worked for me and they'll work for you. When I've employed all of these components, I've never failed to achieve my intention.

1. Have Powerful Reasons. With a strong enough reason you can and will find the how and the wherewithal to achieve your reward. Reasons plus belief keep you motivated. When you're excited about your goal, it doesn't seem like work. If you're not excited, your efforts will require more discipline and energy. Make sure it's YOUR goal. Make sure it excites you. And then act enthusiastically.

2. Write Your Objectives Down. This is a critical step. Don't think it, ink it. When you write your goals down, they appear not only on paper, but they become indelibly written upon your consciousness.

3. Visualize. "See" your objective already in existence. Nothing can withstand the power of a clear, multi-sensory vision of what you are intending. What does it look like? What will people be saying about it? How will you feel? The more detailed and "real" you can make your vision, the more powerful it will be. It will operate like a magnet and draw forth all kinds of things you never thought possible.

4. Affirm Your Success. Speak your goal into existence. An affirmation is a present-tense, positive statement of your intended outcome. I now have achieved ______________ (fill in the blank). The more sensory rich you can make your affirmations, the more effective they will be. All of these techniques help you to feel the presence of your objective and build belief.

5. Make a Plan of Action. To achieve and stay focused upon your objective, create an action plan. What are the steps you will take to get you from where you are to where you want to be? Your strategies will likely change as you go along, so set your goals in concrete and your plans in sand. Keep your eye on the goal, but remain flexible in your path to it.

6. Measure Your Progress. You can't change what you don't measure. Create mechanisms that will allow you to see your progress. Use charts. Log your actions. Use anything that will encourage you by allowing you to objectively track your progress. We all need feedback—it's the breakfast of champions.

7. Maintain a Support System. Have a Master Mind Group. Use the Buddy System. Surround yourself with people who will encourage and challenge you. Be accountable to someone other than yourself. Read positive books. Review past successes.

8. Focus On Only a Few Goals at a Time. You can achieve anything you desire, but not EVERYTHING you desire. Concentrate your efforts and your energy on just a few. I might have dozens of goals and projects, but I keep three key goals in the forefront of my mind.

9. Take Action Every Day. An important objective warrants daily attention. A 400-page novel is not written all at once. To many, writing a 400-page novel would be overwhelming. But a little over a page a day will get it done in a year. Every goal can be broken down into doable tasks done consistently.

10. Celebrate Your Milestones. Mark your successes and acknowledge yourself for your progress. As you achieve one goal, you can see better and believe more easily in the accomplishment of others. You deserve to succeed and you deserve to celebrate your successes.

Copyright 2000 Michael E. Angier, used with permission.
======================================
I have made it a habit to first read this article Every Sunday Evening
and with these staples in mind reconnoiter my plan for the week.
Just my process but seems to work for me.

Part of your plan should include, if necessary, falling back and regrouping
to do what ever it takes to organize your business life technologically so
you force yourself to stay on target with alarms set to allow you a
realistic amount of time to accomplish tasks.

Enter tools of the trade....................

The tools/technologies I use to assist me in maintaining my focus are:

Current Contact Manager =
A bit pricy at $230.00 but well worth the $'s if you have it.
It has a fairly steep lurning curve but again that is worth it as well.

Previous Contact Manager
@ $45 a great way to get started with a good Time/Contact Manager.

For Quick Notes and to-Do's
I simply can't say enough good things about this little jewel. Resides in your
system tray, requires very little resources and comes with a very cool
Alarm/Alert Reminder. You can make notes with it organized to your
liking and never have to save a named file. It auto-saves. And is
key word searchable.

I sincerely hope this is of benefit to your quest for staying focused.
DeadInToIt

Postby lucas2005 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:40 am

That article is actually up on my bulletin board as we speak... That is so funny!
lucas2005

Postby sweetcupcakebyjen » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:59 pm

My focus problems are definitely household distractions coupled with fatigue! I have found a couple of things that have helped me tremendously!

Lists don't work for me. If I make them, I don't use them, so it's actually counterproductive since I'm wasting time making lists that I'll never get to. I do jot myself notes so I don't forget anything important. Of course, lists are essential to many people, but they don't work for everyone. I prioritize my tasks mentally, and that works for me.

The most important thing for me was to find my most productive time of day. I don't work as well during most of the day (distractions) so I end up feeling frustrated. I have found that if I get up early, I get more done in one hour than I could accomplish in 5 "normal" work hours. I also do well late at night. As a WAHM, it's also nice because even though I'm working, it's quiet and I have some alone time. So my suggestion is to find the times when you can get the most done, and take advantage of them! Of course, if I have to make a lot of phone calls, they can't be done at odd hours, but with everything else I get done, getting to the phone isn't as difficult AND doesn't seem like an interruption.

Also, I don't have a separate office, so most of my work is done out of my family room. My organization was HORRIBLE until I moved my filing cabinet into the room. Yeah, it doesn't look great, but I get my papers filed almost every day because it's easier. Keeping things neat is difficult for me, but I've found that when I can do it, my stress level drops dramatically!

Find what works for you!
sweetcupcakebyjen

PreviousNext

Return to Home Office Talk