[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Working at home with children • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Working at home with children

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Working at home with children

Postby Declan OReilly » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:08 am

There are so many advantages to working at home with children such as saving on childcare fees and also having the priviledge of watching your child grow up. I don't want some stranger to have memories of my daughter growing up. It also teaches children about the concept of work and success because they are exposed to it from an early age.

Yet at the same time we need to have clear boundaries between 'work time' and 'play time'. I have a little desk set up for my three year old daughter right next to mine. It is great when she can be quiet while I am on the phone but sometimes that is not always possible. I am sure there are plenty of WAHM's and WAHD's out there in the same situation. What I would like to know is how you divide your day between showing your child(ren) attention and getting some serious work done.

Ideas please...

Declan
Last edited by Declan OReilly on Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Declan OReilly

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:03 am

I always remind myself that every age is a phase - it passes. I've been working from home since my children were 5 months & 5 years old. They are now 8 & 13 - and of course, old enough to reason with :twisted: :wink:

But then, anyone who has ever called me on the phone in the evenings knows that my attention is scattered between four people - my son, my daughter, my grandmother and whoever is on the phone :shock:

What worked for me when they were younger was to go by THEIR schedule. There are times of the day that are quieter than others - such as when they watch their show, or take their nap, etc. So I would generally take voice mail, and then return calls when I felt the timing would be good.

There's not a whole lot of quiet time for "getting some serious work done" around my house... so I do try to wake early or stay up after everyone goes to sleep - but that's not always healthy for me (depends on how many hours I need). Fortunately, working from home, we do have flexible schedules, so for me... I just go with the flow, do my best each day (at both family *and* work), go to sleep and then start over the next day...
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby karadawn » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:17 am

I think that's about all you can do is just work around there schedual. I've worked at home since my oldest was about a year old, before my daughter was even born. They are 4 and almost 2 now. I've always just worked around them - they are use to playing and watching TV together. Of course when my daughter was first born I would only work when she was sleeping, but as she got older and started playing with her brother it got easier to work all day.

I still have set work hours so that when the day is done they have my full attention. ;)
karadawn

Postby stephfoster » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:30 pm

stephfoster

Postby netadventures » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:19 pm

netadventures

Postby Declan OReilly » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:44 pm

Declan OReilly

Postby Christa » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:27 pm

Christa

Postby Declan OReilly » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:42 pm

Declan OReilly

I totally agree.

Postby PattyGale » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:08 am

Yes, I think these are all very good points and ideas.

I also have a desk set up in my office with my old p.c. that is now just for my daughter. She will be 4 in December. She loves to "work" when mommy is working.

My office is on our 2nd floor and pretty close to her bedroom. So, it is wonderful to be able to stop from time to time to play a puzzle, color a page or catch a cartoon or two.

Then back to work. I try to do most of my web work at night after she goes to sleep. Sometimes that kind of work is a little too intense to just all of a sudden stop what I'm doing.

Since her birthday is in December, she won't start school for 2 more years, and I know they will fly by fast. So, my days are spent answering email, networking online, and things that aren't as demanding as those that really need quiet time.

Kids grow up way too fast as it is.

Patty
PattyGale

WFH with children

Postby officedetailsva » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:19 pm

officedetailsva

Postby Declan OReilly » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:10 am

Declan OReilly

Postby WAHumor » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:27 am

I know lots of folks reeeeaaalllly hate to hear this, BUT...

Is there someone who might care for your daughter for say, two hours during the day? Grandma??

It may seem to fly in the face of the One True Working At Home spirit, but it allows time for very important things that can't be interrupted.

By clearly stating to your clients that it is your alloted time to return calls, they'll accept that.

And whenever you have a laugh to share (however rare), come by my forum - http://www.WAHumor.com/forum !!
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby Anita DeFrank » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:48 pm

Anita DeFrank

Postby Declan OReilly » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:27 pm

Declan OReilly

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:15 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Next

Return to Home Office Talk