[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Working at home with children • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Working at home with children

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Postby officedetailsva » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:04 pm

officedetailsva

Let me tell you...

Postby lifechanges » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:07 pm

lifechanges

Postby officedetailsva » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:02 pm

officedetailsva

now that I think about it...

Postby lifechanges » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:46 pm

hahahaha I forgot to mention the KEY in making this work. Well I know you've all heard of Feng Shui... well I don't know what you'd call this but I arranged the furniture in all of the rooms of my home optimally so that the places I am most likely to sit, etc. are prime viewing areas. I have a clear view of the living room from my computer, a clear view of the kids room from the living room couch, and the kids room is set where the play area can be seen from my back office. I can see in the kitchen as I load laundry, and I can see the kids play in the front yard (gated) from the kitchen. So I am always multi-tasking, and the furniture arrangement makes it work well. :wink:
lifechanges

Postby LuckyMommy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:01 pm

Right now my little guy doesn't walk or talk so I have it easier then some ;) At the moment I only work when my son is sleeping. When he's awake it's mommy and son time. Afterall, thats why I'm home. As he gets older and doesn't nap as much and talks and walks I know it's going to be much harder. I'm enjoying this time :)
LuckyMommy

Postby WAHumor » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:07 pm

I know where you're coming from, Nell...

I also forbid my sons from talking or moving while I'm working.

The oldest is turning thirteen soon.

A little atrophied, but otherwise OK.

Mostly...
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby shelwriter » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:42 pm

shelwriter

Postby Tam » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:46 pm

Okay - I am really late to jump in on this but this is a topic I am so familiar with. You see, I am not only a WAHM but I was also raised in a family that has a home based bussiness. I worked at home (for the family business and freelance work before I had my son.

Yes, certain tasks you can do around there scheduale but there are others that need to be done on a different schedule (deadlines, the phone ringing, etc). For insance, when i was little, mom did the bookkeeping and general office stuff while we napping or in bed, later when we were doing our homework - unless it was something that needed to be done immediately - like typing an estimate. When i was able, i helped her with many of the office stuff (she ended up taking a job working outside the home when i was 7 or 8).

but children quickly understand "work" and the need for the parent to do it. As far back as i remember, i always knew that if the phone rang, it meant be quite since it might be a customer caling. When Dad couldn't do something with me or attend a school function becuase he had an job that needed done, i understood. Note: while other than for the first year, we run the business from the home - most of his work is done on the customers site; he does try to schedual jobs during normal businness hours but problems, emergancy can have him going out at night.

I have their business line ran into my home now and my son understands the idea of that if that phone rings - quiet. he is also very understanding of me needing time to work on whatever projects i need to do. Yes, i try to do things when he is busy but deadlines happen and sometimes i just need to do it now. He also understands that when he is over at the grandparents.

I guess my point is this: the kids understand and except that you can't always work around their scheduale. And if you involve them in some aspect of what you do (or at the very least expalin to them), it's even better.
Tam

Postby sugarrae » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:36 am

I've had a bit to get used to being a single mom now, and it pretty much works for me like it did before. I've worked at home for as long as the kids have been on the planet, so it is normal for them.

I moved my office into the dining room which has a split plan with the living room, so I am in the same room with them all day. If I need to take a call, my youngest gets put into his highchair with some "puffs" and my daughter plays while I step on the backporch (where I can still see them both). ;)
sugarrae
Elite Member

Previous

Return to Home Office Talk