This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

eMail Issues

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

eMail Issues

Postby eskimo13 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:31 am

Hi,
I need some advice regarding email accounts and addresses, please?

Just today I canceled my account with one Internet Service Provider. My primary email address is through them. I had access to web-mail but usually used my email client, Windows Mail.

I just found out that the old ISP will provide no forwarding at all. When I've changed ISP's in the past, they usually have a period of time where they will forward my emails to the new address. This does not appear to be the case here.

So, is there a way I can set up my own forwarding? I will have a new suffix with my new ISP. I am assuming from what I was told today, that emails will just bounce back to the sender. There's no way I can send my new email address to every person, business, account or marketer. There's sure to be a long list of those I can't even remember. Is there any way to see that I get my emails?

Thanks,
Quinn
eskimo13
Elite Member

Postby 07venky » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:35 am

if your access to ISP email account has been removed , then nothing can be done , as you don't have access to there domain itself.
07venky

Postby onlineleben » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:15 am

bad luck! relying on an ISPs email system and addresses is not good at all. Get yourself a domain like eskimo13.com or whatever your name is and plan to keep that for loooooong. Route all you email through that domain. when you switch hosting companies your mail goes along (ok, you have to set it up at the new host).
HTH
onlineleben

Postby robert adams » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:33 am

I agree. I have been doing this since '95 and have always used my own domain for my emails.
I currently have 5 ( I think ) email accounts available from my wireless ISP but have never even set them up.

I use outlook express to check my email accounts.
I have several domain names and several email accounts at each.

Here is a tip;
If you want to signup for free junk, create a new email account in your hosting control panel, just for that junk email.
Set it up in your email client ( outlook express or whatever ).
When you get tired of all the junk email, simply delete that email account from your server and no more junk mail.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby onlineleben » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:25 am

signup for free junk, create a new email account in your hosting control panel

Robert,
I started this as well some years ago, always having accounts like junk2006@example.com etc.
Out of curiosity I re-created the 2005 account again and all of a sudden the spam came in again. Lesson learned from this: once in a spammers list, always in a spammers list.
Btw, do you know if it has an impact on the mailserver when a lot of spam is sent to a nonexisting account?
onlineleben

Postby robert adams » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:53 am

It depends on how you have the server setup. Make sure that it actually bounces the mail as opposed to just keeping it in some account that is never checked etc.

I believe that as long as it bounces it back to sender, it has no effect on the server, just the net in general.

and yes, you are right, I have recreated some of mine and found the same thing to be true.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Return to Home Office Talk