This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Microsoft Home Server

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Microsoft Home Server

Postby Bill M Moore » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:14 pm

Hello Everyone,

Is anyone using Microsoft Home Server (WHS)? I am finishing building my Quad Core Intel 6600 system and have been thinking about installing WHS as the operating system. I want to use the backup feature across my network to back up all my data and systems.

Bill M Moore
Bill M Moore
Elite Member

Postby alexc » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:16 am

Windows Home Server is not really appropriate for a desktop operating system. It is intended to be a file share and media server with very little of the features you want or expect in a desktop operating system. The backup feature is nice, but you might want to consider building a server box, and just letting it sit in a closet storing and serving data.

For a desktop operating system, depending on your needs and technical skill you should look into Windows XP or Vista, Mac OSX, or Linux (Ubuntu if you are new to Linux and afraid of it, Red Hat if you are comfortable with technology and want to have a vast number of options)
alexc

Return to Home Office Talk