This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

 

 


Got a laser printer?

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Got a laser printer?

Postby MommyEnterprises » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:11 pm

I don't do enough printing to go buy a fancy laser printer, but I sure want one!
User avatar
MommyEnterprises
 
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:23 am
Location: California

Postby TorontoCarol » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:10 pm

I have had the same Brother laser printer for the last five years and its still going strong. If you don't need to do color printing (although my next laser I want to be a color one) it's fast and the print is nice and clear.

But the best thing is that I can go for many many months before I have to change my toner cartridge. Much cheaper than inkjet in the long run.
User avatar
TorontoCarol
Elite Member
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 11:07 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Postby Oregon Coast Guy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:39 am

I'll probably pick one up in a few months. Right now, I have an HP 3-in-1 that works pretty good, except the color has never really worked too well.
User avatar
Oregon Coast Guy
 
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:44 am
Location: Vancouver, WA

Postby Mike Paul » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:30 pm

Laser printers are nice, especially if you print out a lot of reports like I do!

You don't need much of one to get decent results. I bought a Brother myself on clearance for about $75 and it's still going strong 3 years later. Toner is a little pricey, but when you think about how many sheets you'll print out with one cartridge, the cost is really cheap.

But if you're looking at a color laser, they are extremely expensive for the most part, costing you around $300-$400 each time you have to buy the toners. HP has a new line of inkjet printers for the office that are actually cheaper to operate than color lasers and seem to hold up quite well. Take a look at any of the OfficeJet Pro L7000 series printers on their site, just make sure you are looking at a printer that can use their 88XL series of ink cartridges, that's the cost-effective ones.

Full disclosure: Yes, I'm a HP affiliate, but no links here. But I'm also an affiliate for every other printer manufacturer I know. Look around yourself, but these printers are the best bang for your buck if you want color laser quality without the big price.
User avatar
Mike Paul
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: KY, USA

Postby robert adams » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:54 am

I went for over a year without even having a printer hooked up.
The only thing I print out now, is my MOM's bank statement so she can decide whether to go shopping or not.

I dream of a paperless world. That was one of the original dreams of the computerized world.


robert
User avatar
robert adams
Elite Member
 
Posts: 1338
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:07 am

Postby Caanan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:57 am

Too bad you don't live near me. I need to get rid of one or two laser printers that need toner.
Caanan
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Got a laser printer?

Postby kirkward » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:07 pm

MommyEnterprises wrote:I don't do enough printing to go buy a fancy laser printer, but I sure want one!

Stefani,

Laser printers are reasonably inexpensive, and they are certainly cheaper than ink jets over their useful life. If you get one, get an HP as there is a pretty established recharged toner industry ... which make the toner affordable. Avoid the ones where there is not much of a refill industry ... Canon, Brother, Lexmark. They sell cheap machines and make it up by overcharging on non-refillable toner cartridges. An inexpensive HO is two or three hundred. New cartridges may be about $80, refills as low as $25, and yield around 6,000 to 8,000 pages of normal text.

Kirk
User avatar
kirkward
Elite Member
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:36 pm
Location: Ellijay, GA USA

Samsung Laser Printer

Postby Bill M Moore » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Stefani,

I have two laser printers. My first one was a HP laser 1000 and my second one is a Samsung 2850. The HP is about 5-6 years old and cost me over $300.00, but the Samsung laser printer cost me $59.00 and works great! I have not purchased a toner cartridge for it yet so I do not know how much a new toner cartridge will cost. The toner cartridges is where the recurring cost come from. You should be able to Google all the laser printers and determine to recurring costs for each one. Then you can make up your mind which one will suit your needs. The color toner cartridges are very expensive. I print all my stuff out on black and white (I do have two color deskjet printers too). Good luck!


Bill M Moore
User avatar
Bill M Moore
Elite Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:40 am

Postby LaneLester » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:39 am

I print a lot of stuff, and I love my Samsung ML-2151N. It connects directly to the router, so it's available to all the computers on my LAN regardless of which ones are turned on. It also prints on both sides of the sheet, saving a lot of paper.

TigerDirect and others sometimes carry refurbished lasers.

There are multiple vendors that sell third party refills for all the main brands (HP, Samsung, Canon, Brother, Lexmark).

Lane
User avatar
LaneLester
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:22 am

Re: Got a laser printer?

Postby alexc » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:48 am

kirkward wrote:
MommyEnterprises wrote:I don't do enough printing to go buy a fancy laser printer, but I sure want one!

Stefani,

Laser printers are reasonably inexpensive, and they are certainly cheaper than ink jets over their useful life. If you get one, get an HP as there is a pretty established recharged toner industry ... which make the toner affordable. Avoid the ones where there is not much of a refill industry ... Canon, Brother, Lexmark. They sell cheap machines and make it up by overcharging on non-refillable toner cartridges. An inexpensive HO is two or three hundred. New cartridges may be about $80, refills as low as $25, and yield around 6,000 to 8,000 pages of normal text.

Kirk

Just for reference, you should never try to use the toner refill services. The toner they use is cheap and not manufactured to the specifics of the device you are printing to witch causes more jams and wear on the fusers and rollers. If you think that toner is too expensive, just wait until you need to replace some of the other parts :) Additionally, with the HP lasers, the settings can be adjusted to match very specific paper types, and the toner flow is adjusted to match, the toner from a refill company doesn't have enough granularity to be so fine tuned, so you don't get the same quality. Lastly, If you are printing in color, refill toner is crap for color reproductions. There are a lot of other reasons to avoid refill service, but those are the top three that will really affect your business. Of course, most printers now have cartridge detection systems built in and to use a refilled cartridge will usually not work and will invalidate your warranty.

For reference I have three lasers in my office, and I print thousands of pages a week to each of them, so I have a lot of experience with these devices.
alexc
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Got a laser printer?

Postby kirkward » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:54 am

alexc wrote:
kirkward wrote:
MommyEnterprises wrote:I don't do enough printing to go buy a fancy laser printer, but I sure want one!

Stefani,

Laser printers are reasonably inexpensive, and they are certainly cheaper than ink jets over their useful life. If you get one, get an HP as there is a pretty established recharged toner industry ... which make the toner affordable. Avoid the ones where there is not much of a refill industry ... Canon, Brother, Lexmark. They sell cheap machines and make it up by overcharging on non-refillable toner cartridges. An inexpensive HO is two or three hundred. New cartridges may be about $80, refills as low as $25, and yield around 6,000 to 8,000 pages of normal text.

Kirk

Just for reference, you should never try to use the toner refill services. The toner they use is cheap and not manufactured to the specifics of the device you are printing to witch causes more jams and wear on the fusers and rollers. If you think that toner is too expensive, just wait until you need to replace some of the other parts :) Additionally, with the HP lasers, the settings can be adjusted to match very specific paper types, and the toner flow is adjusted to match, the toner from a refill company doesn't have enough granularity to be so fine tuned, so you don't get the same quality. Lastly, If you are printing in color, refill toner is crap for color reproductions. There are a lot of other reasons to avoid refill service, but those are the top three that will really affect your business. Of course, most printers now have cartridge detection systems built in and to use a refilled cartridge will usually not work and will invalidate your warranty.

For reference I have three lasers in my office, and I print thousands of pages a week to each of them, so I have a lot of experience with these devices.

Alex,

I have been using almost nothing but refills since 1989, with absolutely no problems. HP printers are almost totally self contained in the cartridge, so there are no significant parts to wear out other than the cartridge.

You may have a point with the multipart systems ... systems where there are separate toner and drum cartridges. These are printers such as Canon, Brother and Lexmark. I have used Chinese cloned toner cartridges with them to some success, but the drum component still exists as a cost. I still have a couple of these printers, but when the toner is used up I will throw them away as the "Gillette" model is not to my liking. (Look up King Gillette and his marketing model.)

In the past two years I have begun using these Chinese clones for my HP and have been satisfied. These are not refills, but lower quality clones. My cost for a clone of an HP 49X cartridge is $25 without shipping in packs of 5 or more. My cost for an HP 49X cartridge, $85 at Staples. The $60 savings is significant enough to compensate for any reduced print coverage, which I haven't noticed.

I am only printing in black, so I cannot comment about color printing. If an individual is going to print in color, then your comments about refills may be accurate, today. As laser color printers become more popular, I am sure things will change.

Regarding your comment about cartridge detection systems ... those are easily overridden by refill firms. I have only had a problem when I tried to do it myself on an inkjet printer. Never could get the chip reset properly on a consistent basis. The refill shop can and does though ... although I only use my inkjet printer for CD faces.

On the point of setting the toner crtridge for specific paper, I've never done that, and until now, I had never heard of anyone who did. I would venture that the typical recipient of a laser printed document is not that discriminating. Unless maybe you are trying to emulate commercial printing. If that is the case, then the type of printer used at home is not the correct printer to use anyway. Not enough resolution.

Kirk
User avatar
kirkward
Elite Member
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:36 pm
Location: Ellijay, GA USA

Postby oroyb » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:57 pm

robert adams wrote:I went for over a year without even having a printer hooked up.
The only thing I print out now, is my MOM's bank statement so she can decide whether to go shopping or not.

I dream of a paperless world. That was one of the original dreams of the computerized world.


robert


Robert,

You really are a dreamer but it seems to be working for you. I thought computers meant paperless too, but the advent of computers doubled or tripled the "paperwork" load for me because I always had to have 'hard copies.' :?

Roy
User avatar
oroyb
Elite Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:04 am
Location: Northern California

Postby LeisaWatkins » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:52 am

I've got a HP LaserJet 1020 and love it. My last HP ink cartridge cost me $30.00 (less than my ink jet refills) after I negotiated government pricing.

I was always replacing ink in the inkjets. This has save me so much money, and would have, even if I was paying full price for cartridges.

I'm an artist and still have use my Ink Jet printers for art. I have one that uses Pigment Ink and one that uses Dye ink.
User avatar
LeisaWatkins
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:00 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Postby kirkward » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:19 am

LeisaWatkins wrote:I've got a HP LaserJet 1020 and love it. My last HP ink cartridge cost me $30.00 (less than my ink jet refills) after I negotiated government pricing.

I was always replacing ink in the inkjets. This has save me so much money, and would have, even if I was paying full price for cartridges.

I'm an artist and still have use my Ink Jet printers for art. I have one that uses Pigment Ink and one that uses Dye ink.

Hi Leisa,

I've been told before about the difference between pigment and dye inks, but can't remember. Can you refresh me, and can you tell me how that would compare to the output of a color laser. I've been toying with the idea of an HP 5550 color laser ... but that is a bit high end for me. Although, the 12x18 print size and cover stock capability will be useful for my book covers.

Kirk
User avatar
kirkward
Elite Member
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:36 pm
Location: Ellijay, GA USA

Postby oroyb » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:50 pm

Kirk,

One of my occupations is graphic arts for the printing industry (brick and mortar) and I do a lot of printing. I have two HP printers for my home office. One is a laser and the other is an ink jet printer. Both serve me well except for one thing. Registration. That means that the print on the page does not line up "exactly" where is should.

If you run a printed sheet through your printer and then put the same sheet of paper back in the printer and print it again you will probably get a double image. Some years back I had a cheap Lexmark inkjet printer (under $75) that handled paper extremely well. When I ran a color printed page through a second time there was no double image, only more brilliant color. It would handle 3x5 cards as well as standard copy paper. But that is not true with the HP's I now have.

However, the HP 5000 series printers are made for much higher quality work. They are even used to make printing plates for printing presses to use in production. They are more expensive but they do a much higher quality job. The "registration" is great. If you are going to use what you print for book covers and such, your output will be straight on the page and you will have something to be proud of. The print will not be skewed on the page.

I also use my inkjet 95% of the time. What I print is mostly in black ink. I purchased a gallon of black ink for about $50 eight months ago and I still have half a gallon left. I use it to refill the black ink in my inkjet printer. As you can imagine, that's a lot of refills!

One thing I have noticed about color printing. The inkjet works beautifully on photo paper stock but photos, or some color images, don't look as good on regular paper. Even high gloss paper that is not "photo paper." With a laser printer it doesn't seem to matter that the paper stock is the image produced is as good on one as the other.

Sorry I got so long winded...All I started out to say was the HP 5000 series printers are good printers and well worth the investment if you are going to use them for high quality output.

See what you started Stefani. All because you want a laser printer. ;-)

All the best,
Roy
Last edited by oroyb on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
oroyb
Elite Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:04 am
Location: Northern California

Next

Return to Home Office Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron