This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Desk Placement

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Desk Placement

Postby Kit Singleton » Tue May 20, 2008 4:28 pm

How many times did you move your desk before you found just the right spot? What things influenced your placement choice?

I think I moved mine around twice when I had a small desk. Now that I have an "L" desk there is no moving it so I put it close to the windows so I can get more sunlight. Peaches need light to grow, ya know. ;)
Kit Singleton

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue May 20, 2008 4:51 pm

I'm still getting settled into my new home office and still playing around with the desk placement in this room. Some of the things that influence my decision are lighting and doors. I like to be facing the doors in the room - I dont like doors to my back. I'm also out-of-sight-out-of-mind, so I like to be facing my whiteboards. Not always an easy combination!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby kirkward » Tue May 20, 2008 6:26 pm

Me, I found the only place where there wasn't anything else, laid one end of the door on a bookshelf, and one end on a two drawer filing cabinet. Couldn't move anymoree after that. No room.

I'm a pack rat.

Kirk
kirkward
Elite Member

Postby Kit Singleton » Tue May 20, 2008 9:49 pm

Ooo Lynn, I saw the pics of your office and um...if you decide you don't like the color of your chair, I'll be glad to get it out of your way. lol

Kirk, lol I love the resourcefulness! As a child, I loved "found art." You know, it's where you find things and turn it into something artsy. I seem to have brought that into my home office decor. So I guess you could say you and I have a "found office." :D
Kit Singleton

Postby karynsolo » Thu May 22, 2008 8:21 pm

For me bright cheery colors are a key to keeping my office space mine. I am a pastel person and the colors relax me but also bring about a cheerful mood. Plants, flowers of course make it even better, especially if they give off a pleasant scent.

I love motivational posters to look at when times get tough, a good message always helps to get me back on track.
karynsolo

Postby Katie Forrest » Fri May 23, 2008 3:37 pm

Hi Kit

Great question. I only moved my desk once - so I can see out of the window now.

But I often work from different rooms. If it's warm, I go in the dining room and have the patio doors open.

Katie
Katie Forrest

Postby Kit Singleton » Fri May 23, 2008 4:59 pm

It seems like many of us feel the need to see outside. My last office didn't have a window and I'm bound and determined to take advantage of it.
Kit Singleton

Postby RadioGirl » Fri May 23, 2008 5:24 pm

I haven't stopped moving things around yet...

Right now I'm trying to decide which room I am going to dedicate to being my office...the basement or the other upstairs bedroom...decisions, decisions...
RadioGirl
Elite Member

Postby topearn » Sun May 25, 2008 1:39 am

You might incorporate some fung shui principles in placing your working desk such as never position your back facing the door, keep your working desk free of clutter.
topearn

Postby kirkward » Sun May 25, 2008 9:12 am

topearn wrote:You might incorporate some fung shui principles in placing your working desk such as never position your back facing the door, keep your working desk free of clutter.

I agree. I never sit with my back to the door, unless I can look in a mirror and see who's coming up behind me.

Wild Bill Hickock did not follow that basic Feng Shui principle while playing poker in Deadwood, S.D, when Jack McCall shot him in the back of the head holding a cluttered hand of Aces and Eights. :)

Kirk
kirkward
Elite Member

Postby Kit Singleton » Sun May 25, 2008 11:26 am

lol The first thing I thought of when I read his name was Aces and Eights. I think that many of us keep our backs away from doors instinctively but never give much thought as to why. ;) As you've stated...Wild Bill should have given it more thought. lol
Kit Singleton

Postby alexc » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:21 am

It took me exactly one arrangement of my office to get it where I want it. I have measurements of every room and large piece of furniture I own, and just make little maps to let me decide where everything goes and how it all fits together. I may have a little OCD thing going on :)
alexc

Postby Shaye ~ proud wahm » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:36 am

My decision was based on where I could be that was central to the activity - but still removed from alot of the noise. I've got two kids at home still so that was the biggest influence. I've also got a laptop and use wireless with it so I can relocate and move around as I need too.

Sometimes my office is in the office, sometimes it on the kitchen table and sometimes its on the homework desk....just depends. :wink:
Shaye ~ proud wahm

Postby shijiang1130 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:43 am

i move my desk frequently since i like sport very much
shijiang1130

Postby ScottTousignant » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:12 pm

My desk is too big to move. That is... the desk in my home office. Check out my new office...

http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/photo ... =731457580
ScottTousignant
Elite Member

Next

Return to Home Office Talk