[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Working in the heat • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Working in the heat

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Working in the heat

Postby MommyEnterprises » Fri May 16, 2008 2:20 pm

MommyEnterprises

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri May 16, 2008 8:05 pm

I have a central unit for the main floor, but my sons room is in the attic. When it gets ~85 degrees outside, the attic is an uncomfortable temperature. Even with fans running, the main problem is his computer overheating. He runs gaming hardware (maxed out video cards, etc). I think I about have him talked into moving down here to the main floor with us for the summer :) lol

I've looked at solutions, but its easy enough for him to take the guest room on the main floor for 6 or 7 weeks.

Anyway, I'm with you - it gets incredibly humid here in TN and I prefer to be outdoors. I'm usually on the laptop out on the back deck. But the extreme heat/humidity will keep me indoors during the heat of the summer. I'm dreading it.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby MommyEnterprises » Sat May 17, 2008 10:52 pm

MommyEnterprises

Postby KansasDragon » Sun May 18, 2008 12:47 am

KansasDragon

Postby MommyEnterprises » Sun May 18, 2008 12:54 am

Not the wall units but actual portable units. See below:

Here is the link to it:
MommyEnterprises

Postby KansasDragon » Sun May 18, 2008 1:09 am

Ah ok..

I've never had one of those critters, but have seen a couple in use in a garage, and a workshop area. The garage was still warm (large 2 car garage on a very hot day, but the workshop (more a normal room size) was nice and cool.

Other than that, I can't say much, since didn't personally play with the unit, or pay the bill.
KansasDragon

Postby Jim Guinn » Sun May 18, 2008 6:28 am

Living in a a 168 year old farm house with a slate roof, the 2nd floor gets pretty warm (even though we have insulation in the attic floor). Putting in Central is too expensive. We have one large window unit (18,000 BTU's) at the top of the stairs. Because it is a traditional farmhouse floor plan, this unit cools off the both floors of the house. It is not a "meat locker", but on the hottest days, I can still keep the house at around 75 with low humidity. If we didn't have this, I would be dead at my computer.

BTW, I have a friend who has one of those portable units in his office (no windows). It does a pretty good job for him.

Jim
Jim Guinn

Postby kirkward » Sun May 18, 2008 2:12 pm

kirkward
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun May 18, 2008 8:32 pm

Cool Stefani - the one I was looking at was a split unit. This one still has to be near a window though, right? I'll check on that at my local store.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby tam2005 » Tue May 20, 2008 10:40 am

tam2005

Postby Kit Singleton » Tue May 20, 2008 4:15 pm

Kit Singleton

Postby TorontoCarol » Tue May 20, 2008 10:23 pm

From all these comments, I suppose I should be happy that my furnace is still coming on here at night and it is barely sweater weather during the day.

You could all just move to Canada - although some day it will get warm, or so they tell me!
TorontoCarol
Elite Member

Postby CorpRebel » Wed May 21, 2008 3:33 pm

I don't have central air in my apt but just use three window AC units that work just fine here in RI. One for bedroom, one for extra bedroom (office) and one for the main area of apt.

Adds about $40/mo to my electric bill thru the summer months. But I keep kool while inside! :P

Gonna have to look for a condo next year and THAT WILL have central air! :lol:

8)
CorpRebel

Postby WAHumor » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:00 pm

WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby CorpRebel » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:21 pm

CorpRebel

Next

Return to Home Office Talk