[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - What Motivated You To Become A WAH Business Owner? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

What Motivated You To Become A WAH Business Owner?

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

What Motivated You To Become A WAH Business Owner?

Postby womaninbiz » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:53 pm

Just curious to know some of your individual reasons for deciding to Work from Home or start your own small business.

Was it that you missed your childs school play, your little one was sick one day and your boss was indifferent to your situation, tired of working your butt off to get that promotion and being congratuated all the time on all your hard work but not being appropriately compensated for it....oooopss sorry I guess those are just some of my reasons! :-)

Plus I love the freedom and flexibility of being my own boss.

Scharlene
womaninbiz

Postby americanwahm » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:34 pm

I started my home business because I needed to increase my income to cover my expenses. I'm a single Mom and I was tired of scraping by. ;)

I love the freedom that I am developing as my own boss too!

Kelly
americanwahm
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:54 pm

There was another great thread on this topic in the General Discussion section... you can find that here: http://www.selfstartersweeklytips.com/f ... php?t=1808 :)

At the time that I started my first business (which was almost 8 years ago), I did it because the job/daycare/rented house etc all seemed like such a dead end! I had problems at work (esp during my last pregnancy w/time off etc), low wages, and it was very stressful (schedule, family, cooking, cleaning, working, sleeping). I wanted MORE out of life ;)

... and I got it :D
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby amills » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:29 pm

amills

Postby Anita DeFrank » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:33 am

Anita DeFrank

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:53 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Ailanthus » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:59 am

LOL.... a t-shirt and some silk pajama pants.

What made me decide to want work at home?
Hmm, well, I started at the age of 16 working in carpentry during the summer. From there, I worked at Wal-Mart for four years, and then went on to work at a factory where I made pretty decent money (14-15 dollars per hour). I was miserable at the factory. Sure, the bills were getting paid, my wife and I were new homeowners, and between the two of us, we were able to take an economical yearly vacation. However, like I said, I was miserable, and beginning to get very depressed.
Soooo, I decided I wanted to go back to school. My factory job wouldn't offer me a lay-off, so I arranged to work for another employer for one month and then get laid off from there so I could qualify for unemployment.
During my one year of reaping the benefits of unemployment, I enrolled full-time at Motlow State Comm. College (right in Lynn's back yard, if I'm not mistaken) with a major in computer science. I've been doing quite well in school... got inducted into the Phi Thetta Kappa honor society, and made the National Dean's List last semester.
After unemployment went dry, I cut myself back to one class per semester and acquired a job as a veterinarian's assistant. I love the job, but the vet is a very moody person... lol.
Anyway, I realized that I doubt I will ever be truly happy unless I am working for myself. While it is possible that a degree in my field could assist with having my own buisness, I feel like its just preparing me for working for another large corporation. I seriously cannot see myself working in a cubicle! :lol:
Another reason for wanting to work from home is, of course, being closer with my family. My wife has already made it to the point I want to be at as an Avon rep. I want to get there too... just not by selling makeup. lol
So, here I am... as of right now, I've just launched a satellite TV promoting site. Still working on getting it optimized. It's apparently a pretty competitive area, so after I get this site up and running good, I'll probably target another area and begin working on another site. I could really use some insight about which area to pursue next! :)
Ailanthus

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:56 am

Yes, there is a Motlow here in McMinnville - near the hospital, I believe. I know there's another one in Manchester, but the one here in town I am only a few miles from. I just moved here a year and a half ago, myself - to care for my 92yo Grandmother. Prior to that I was on Center Hill Lake for a couple of years after leaving the city (Murfreesboro) when my son got ill.

Satellite is a very competitive marketing online - not to say that there isnt plenty of money to be made in it still. If you are diligent, you will succeed. For your next project, perhaps think smaller - but in quantity. Two or three smaller markets could serve you quite well. It takes some research, but you'll find that there are still plenty of niches out there ;)

Are you working solely with SEO, or also using PPC for your affiliate promotions?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Ailanthus » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:57 pm

Ailanthus

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:20 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Anita DeFrank » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:35 am

Anita DeFrank

Postby womaninbiz » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:25 pm

womaninbiz

Postby Anita DeFrank » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:09 am

Anita DeFrank

Postby irinam » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:36 pm

irinam

Postby LuckyMommy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:04 pm

I knew I would be home with my baby when I had him. Since long before I even had a baby I knew I would be home with him. So since my husband doesn't make enough to support the family alone, I decided I needed to take this in my own hands and make it happen. I started telecommuting over four years ago part time...to get my feet wet and get a feel for what I would want to do. Now, four years later I have a 6 month old son and am now home full time with him.

I also LOVE owning my business. I love being creative, being my own boss, setting my own schedule...etc.

I love being a business owner :D
LuckyMommy

Next

Return to Home Office Talk