[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Ordering A New Computer - WITHOUT Vista • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Ordering A New Computer - WITHOUT Vista

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Ordering A New Computer - WITHOUT Vista

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:27 pm

I recently ordered a new laptop and it came with Windows Vista. Eh :? Okay, I guess. But I use and like XP on my desktop, and really just dont want to make the switch.

Today I ordered 2 new desktop systems... both with Windows XP on them! I found a place on Dell.com where they still sell systems with the XP operating system :)

If you're looking for the same, just use the search bar at the top right of their site and type in "xp systems". Or go to home/home office, select desktops, and look for the button for "XP" towards the bottom right.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:40 pm

FWIW, here's the specs. I got them for $399 each, though that is without monitors (we already have 5 in the house lol):

-Intel Pentium Dual Core processor E2140 (1.60GHz,800FSB)
-1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
-250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
-Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition,Service Pack 2,English
-Integrated NIC card
-56K PCI Data Fax Modem
-48X CDRW/DVD Combination Drive

Decent deal, ya think?

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby CorpRebel » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:11 pm

KEWL!

Forgot about that. But I believe Microsoft recently extended the licenses for some PC manufacturers to ship PCs with XP until June 2008.

But PC makers would rather ship with the Vista which is why they put things like that in an obscure spot on their sites. But Vista will break alot of my software apps that I have to have.

But a sale IS still a sale! :lol:

I might grab one myself but with XP Pro instead of the home edition. BUT I need to upgrade my notebook too. Time to write ... er ... email my list to Santa! :P

Rick Wilson aka CorpRebel 8)
CorpRebel

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:34 pm

There is a Santa?! :shock: Are you serious?

And all this time I've been stuffing the stockings at my house. My kids must be REALLY bad.

:evil: (lol)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

New computers with XP

Postby DBeavers » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:55 pm

DBeavers

Re: New computers with XP

Postby CorpRebel » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:12 pm

CorpRebel

forget Vista

Postby TorontoCarol » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:53 pm

Well, I can sure relate to this thread. I bought a new desktop a few weeks ago with Vista installed and returned it two days later. I was ready to throw it out the window.

Lynn, it's interesting that you found that link on the Dell site. I had heard that Dell was allowing the choice of operating systems, but I asked a Dell salesman at the local mall kiosk and he said they no longer sell them with anything but Vista. I guess I should have known better than to listen to him, the whole time he spoke to me, he kept yawning - not the kind of salesperson I would ever want working for me.
TorontoCarol
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:25 am

No, I imagine not!

I am really spoiled to online shopping and the power to search/research. I cannot even imagine stepping foot in a mall again like I used to!

At any rate, yes - I was tickled to find this section on Dell myself. I have a new laptop with Vista and I really just dont like it. Nothing specific (yet), just very happy with XP.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby CorpRebel » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:24 am

CorpRebel

Return to Home Office Talk