[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Online Security - Personal Information Online • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Online Security - Personal Information Online

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Online Security - Personal Information Online

Postby Sandra » Wed May 31, 2006 11:43 am

There was a thread a long time ago about whether it's best to use a home address for online business or not. Some people use a PO box.

This recent article got me thinking again about this issue. > This is particularly about kids publishing information online which parents should definitely monitor. But how about a home office address for a home that has kids?

It's a lot easier to use a home address to get mail and packages and not have to make the trip to the post office everyday....but maybe it's better to be safe than sorry.

What do you think?
Sandra
Elite Member

Postby Ellen C. Braun » Wed May 31, 2006 12:30 pm

Ellen C. Braun
Elite Member

Postby Sandra » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:47 pm

Yea, those stories were pretty scarry. There are some sicko people out there. It's good to be aware and just protect yourself as much as possible. I know some bloggers who won't call their kids by their names and instead use initials or psyeudonymns to protect their identity. One friend of mine puts all of her personal blog posts in a password protected part of the blog.

The other security issue with getting mail at home is identity theft, mail and package theft. I get a lot of shipments via UPS/Fedex and sometimes if I'm not home they just leave them on the porch. I had a computer stolen because of this. Luckily the company did not charge me for a second one.

So that's mainly why I opened a box. If you do get a box go to a place that will accept FedEx, UPS and postal mail. The regular post office USPS will only accept US Mail, not shipping companies.
Sandra
Elite Member

Re: Online Security - Personal Information Online

Postby Kirk » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:10 pm

Kirk

Postby Sandra » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:09 pm

Sandra
Elite Member

Postby midwestmedia » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:54 pm

midwestmedia
Elite Member

Postby rodgerc » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:36 pm

I'm not sure that a PO Box address would provide much privacy protection unless you also use an alias.

If you give out your real name, it is surprisingly easy these days to find out all sorts of stuff about you, including your physical address.

Having a PO box would make it a bit more inconvenient to find out where you live. But if someone really wants to know, it's almost impossible to prevent it.

Just my $.02,
Rodger
rodgerc
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:47 pm

I would agree with that.

I had a PO Box for a couple of years, and I found I was always watching my back when I went in to check my box - and also did a quick check to make sure nobody was following me home. It occurred to me how easy it would be to find me and track me back from there even.

Of course, like Rodger said, if someone is that determined... there's not much you can do to keep them from getting the information in one way or the other.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby WAHumor » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:16 pm

The one problem with PO boxes is the PO box address.

People see it connected to your biz and figure that you're just a fly-by-night.

Use the physical address of the post office's location, followed by the box number: 21 Jackson St., #220 for example.
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:45 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby WAHumor » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:36 am

Eek!

I hope it wasn't a bad incident.

And someone showing up at your door, no call, nothing??

[/u]
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby Karen » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:21 am

I use PO boxes... and I always will. My box is listed as a Suite # so it doesn't have P.O. in the address.

It looks a little more professional, but it is still a PO box none the less.

Karen
Karen

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:44 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby WAHumor » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:30 pm

Oh heck, rant away Lynny!

You've certainly earned the right.

It's actually reassuring to hear that you sometimes get those feelings.

I'm sorry to hear that it was such an upsetting experience for you.
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:37 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Return to Home Office Talk