[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Affiliate Income vs Drop Shipping • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Affiliate Income vs Drop Shipping

Join us here to discuss affiliate marketing in detail - from how to choose programs, how to promote programs, content-based websites, product-based websites and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Affiliate Income vs Drop Shipping

Postby micmol » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:59 pm

I've been doing quite alot of research lately trying to determine the best way to increase the income levels from my site.

Now this question keeps on coming into my head.

What would make more money for my site long-term ... starting affiliate marketing relationships or developing long-term drop shipping arrangements.

My focus is not short-term is definitely long-term.

Looking at the downside to affiliate marketing ...

Researching many, many potential affiliate links I would never buy the product so why should I expect my traffic to buy the products. Many sites have as much chance of closing the sale as I would of becoming the next president of the USA.

The whole process of you delivering your quality traffic to a third party is alien to me. As somebody who hs had over 20 years in sales & retail, taking customers threw the whole buying process has been very successful for me. Why should I consider changing online?

With affiliate marketing even although many sites "claim they have used and fully endorse the product." I don't believe them they are just making the statement to generate income ... simple self-interest theory.

Where as if you look at drop shipping. Assuming you choose the products wisely. The trust you have built with your traffic can be transfered easily into the buying process.

Would be very interested in your thoughts?
micmol

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:50 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby giftsolution » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:53 am

I will add my comments to Lynn's as one who did both (actually, I still use both methods, but not for long).

When you drop ship, as Lynn suggested, you are tied to your computer/home office. You need to take the order, process the credit card (watch out for credit card fraud: one of the reasons I've been slowly changing my business model), then place the order wiht your supplier, and also keep in touch with both, your customer, and the supplier.

If anything goes wrong with then order, you are responsible. For example, if you procesed the credit card and even though it went through, it was a fraud, you are out the money.

Also, if you want to go on vacation, you need to make sure you have someone cover your operation.

You'll also have to maintain a merchant account, and most charge a monthly fee, even if you don't have orders going through.

On the positive side, your profit is higher: 40-50% of the retail, as opposed to affiliate commission of 5-20% (for actual goods).

As for affiliate marketing, if you pick your partners carefully, and then learn SEO and use that knowledge when building your pages, you can have free traffic for a long time, a much better strategy.

I hope this will help you make your decision.
giftsolution
Elite Member

Return to Affiliate Marketing