[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - The dream of making lots of money online. Fact or myth ? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

The dream of making lots of money online. Fact or myth ?

Join us here to discuss affiliate marketing in detail - from how to choose programs, how to promote programs, content-based websites, product-based websites and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

The dream of making lots of money online. Fact or myth ?

Postby chewbacca » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:24 am

Hi all,

Lately I have read a lot about affiliate marketing and marketers claiming to earn big bucks just selling other people's stuff. Sure enough it grabbed my attention because who doesn't want to earn lots of cash sitting at home by his/her computer ?

But I can't help having a gutt feeling that most (if not all) people having (or claiming to have) success with affiliate marketing, are just selling the dream of making lots of money online to others, in the form of e-books f.e. about affiliate marketing.

So what I'm trying to say is, please prove me wrong. Make a believer out of me. Is there really a way to promote products other than online marketing information and still earn a full-time income ?

Greetz,
Alex.
chewbacca

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:15 am

Hi Alex & Welcome to SSWT!

You asked a great question, and I am sure one that many people would like to hear answers to. The answer is YES. As for "outside of internet marketing information" - definitely. Rosalind Gardner is a good example with her affiliate-based dating websites, and PPC Campaigns that promote online dating sites.

Obviously I promote "internet marketing information" here at SSWT, as it is a perfect match for this site and they are products/services that I use myself and then recommend... but I also have projects outside of this market that I do very well with through both SEO (search engine optimization) & PPC (pay-per-click marketing).

I think it would help, too, to define "making lots of money" - how much would you consider "lots" or be happy making as an affiliate marketer?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby chewbacca » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:48 am

Well Lynn,

I would be very happy earning about 6000 to 8000 dollars each month enabling me to quit my day job as an freelance webdesigner and programmer.

Well you mentioned Rosalind Gardner. Isn't she making a heck of a lot more money by promoting her books and seminars and stuff regarding affiliate marketing rather than from promoting dating services ?

Of course I want to start right away promoting stuff as an affiliate, if it means quiting my job eventually. Who wouldn't. :)

I guess I'm just somewhat sceptical when people claim to earn amounts like 450.000 dollars a year, just by selling on commission.

Greetz,
Alex.
chewbacca

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:57 am

It's certainly not impossible, and $6k/month is definitely an attainable goal. Rosalind was actually doing very well with her dating sites & PPC before she wrote the Super Affiliate Handbook. And Chris Carpenter was successful at promoting affiliate programs via Adwords before he wrote Google Cash. One of the things I've done very well with is pay-per-lead affiliate programs - for a variety of merchants, targeting various niches.

You could easily expect to reach your goal within a year - if not sooner ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby alice » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:59 am

Hey Alex,

The dream stays a myth if you don't learn and implement what you need to know. It becomes reality with blood, sweat and maybe a few tears. ;)

I would suggest NOT selling Internet marketing products IS the way to go. Because realistically, IM is a crowded market and the demand is not as high as in some other markets. But...LOL...don't laugh at me, because IM is the market I'm in, but I've carved out a specific niche for myself.

I can understand looking at these claims with suspicion, but I suggest you find just one successful person you trust and find out who his/her mentors are and then start learning from them. If you want to immerse yourself in affiliate marketing...you'll speed up your learning process dramatically if you connect with successful people.

Good luck!

Alice
alice

Postby NorthTexas » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:32 am

NorthTexas

Postby PattyGale » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:19 pm

PattyGale

Postby sugarrae » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:14 pm

"who doesn't want to earn lots of cash sitting at home by his/her computer"

Well, the first thing to realize is that it's not quite sitting at home ;). I know you know that, but I am making that statement for anyone who may not.

I am a full time affiliate marketer and have been for a long time. Do I think anyone can do this? No. But, I think the right people can. I don't sell info products - I don't even promote sites here. Nothing to gain by telling you this. But, yea, it is possible to earn a very good, even an amazing, income with affiliate marketing.
sugarrae
Elite Member

Postby Sandra » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:49 pm

Yes, it is possible. As others mentioned it takes time and hard work.

One of the things I like about Rosalind's book is that she goes into detail about how to choose a niche and determine before starting whether it will be profitable or not. She uses a formula based on number of online searches, the cost of advertising, and the affiliate commission. It's worth it to get her book, just for those few pages of information. That being said, one can also earn a good income on much smaller markets.

Sandra
Sandra
Elite Member

Postby Phil Tanny » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:16 pm

Phil Tanny

Postby sugarrae » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:58 am

sugarrae
Elite Member

Affiliate Program

Postby robsley » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:47 am

I have my own website and was reading your posts. I know affiliate programs work so if you don't mind me asking an expert like your self. What affiliate program would you go after if you were starting today? Be specific please.
robsley

Re: Affiliate Program

Postby flensborg » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:27 am

flensborg

Postby LuckyMommy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:59 am

I learned that finding one successful person, in the market you're in, to be amazing help. Alice Seba is my mentor (and business coach) and if you go to my blog you will see the results I've had from learning from her and implenting what she's taught me. My goal for this year is $2,000 a month by the end of the year and I'm well on my way. Sure, that's not lots and lots of money to most people, but for me it's more then I ever thought possible.
LuckyMommy

For Rae...

Postby geepgeep » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:49 am

Rae,

I know there is tons of wisdom beneath those kind eyes...

About those people that ARE making $450K+ per year in the AM game.
What are some of the things that they are doing that most of us are not?

I really want to know.

;-) Robert
geepgeep
Elite Member

Next

Return to Affiliate Marketing