This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

What has happened to this forum?

Join us here to discuss affiliate marketing in detail - from how to choose programs, how to promote programs, content-based websites, product-based websites and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Postby Jim Guinn » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:45 am

Good point, but not sure if I want to go that route in this forum (affiliate) just yet.

Jim
Last edited by Jim Guinn on Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Guinn

Postby Jim Guinn » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:51 pm

Well, three days and our converstaion seems to have stagnated. No one else has an opinion?

One of the moderators from this affiliate forum and Lynn have been on and have been posting in other threads since the first entry in this thread, but no comments from them on this topic at all. The other moderator has either been MIA or on vacation since August 8th.

I find it very disheartening that the two moderators and administrator have not made any comments in this thread....or, any of the affiliate marketers this huge forum has as members.

The more I write in this forum, the more I believe I am hitting my head against the wall, and it is time for me to move on to forums that want to actively discuss affiliate marketing and affiliate manager topics.

It's been a nice stay for the most part, but at 413 posts, this will be my last here.

My best wishes to all of you at SSWT.

Jim
Jim Guinn

Postby robert adams » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:29 pm

If people come here, learn, grow etc., then move on, it does not help anyone else.

A better way would be to stay on and share what you have learned with the new members. You know, return the favor.

That is what will keep a great board like this going and growing.
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:33 pm

I posted above before I saw your last post.
I am sorry to see you go. In the past you contributed valuable information and help. However, lately you seem to have been complaining more than trying to solve the problems you see.

either way, I wish you luck in whatever you do.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Publisher-For-You » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:05 pm

I agree Jim is probably focused a bit too much on complaining here, but I do think he's on to something.

Webmaster forums are full of webmasters. :-)

Who are webmasters?

People whose business it is to add interesting and useful content to the web, for a profit.

Webmaster forums should have the flavor of a writers convention. They should be hopping popping places full of colorful characters who have a lot to say.

That's our business, the service we provide, having a lot of interesting things to say.

Our readers, the people our livelihoods depend on, really don't give a $#@%^ about most of the stuff discussed on webmaster forums. The latest tools, our clever business strategies, etc etc. They just don't care about us, and our checkbooks.

What do they care about?

Primarily psychological entertainment, and some info on the side please.

Hooking readers, giving that psychological stimulation that keeps them reading, involves taking chances.

There are already 10,000 people in the niche of our site, repeating the same old memorized group consensus dogma for that niche. Being the 10,001 person to do this dance, just doesn't cut it.

If we can't even entertain ourselves here in our own webmaster club houses, we're in trouble, imho.

And Jim is right, webmaster forums in general have been in the process of dying for some time.

Ok, I'm taking some chances here.

Some of you may now be thinking...

"He doesn't like our posts? Who does he think he is etc"

Here's who I am.

A guy who has no chance of being heard, if he doesn't take some chances, and at least try to say something interesting. That's who we all are.

We're all falling asleep folks. If we can't wake each other up, what chance do we have with readers?
Publisher-For-You

Postby robert adams » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:42 pm

I have no arguement with your sentiment there, however, when did this board become a webmasters forum?

from Lynn's front page:

If You Want To Learn Internet Marketing - For Free - You've Come to the Right Place!
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Publisher-For-You » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:55 pm

I welcome your challenge Robert, it's in the spirit of our shared sentiment. And now I will offer a friendly challenge back. :-)

Challenge me on something bigger than this semantic quibble.

Stir the pot.

Make me think.

Kick me off my intellectual butt, and give me that, "Wow, I didn't think of that!" experience.

Entertain me, keep me hooked!

There are a million others sites where we both can be, just a few clicks away. Lots of pressure on we "marketers", ey?

The market, in this case in the form of Jim, is saying...

Rise to the challenge, or die.
Publisher-For-You

Postby karynsolo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:01 am

I watch the posts in this section because I am just starting to really get into the affiliate marketing area, I have a few links going that are bringing in a little here and there, but really do not know how to effectively incorporate a good campaign.

Any suggestions?
karynsolo

Postby KirkhamsEbooks.com » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:00 pm

What are you doing so far?

Rick
KirkhamsEbooks.com

Postby Li Weng » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:40 pm

this forum has some good information, but it seems a bit quiet?
Li Weng

Postby Steve_G » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:46 am

I think this is what Jim was getting at. I understand his concern. If all you offer is "affiliate offers" and not great tips, tactics, and useful content. Then one could come to the conclusion all that is offered is "offers".

When you read anything about affiliate marketing they do mention that to get traffic to your sites, participation in forums can be extremely beneficial.

That is how you learn. By doing what is taught. It may dilute the concept a little but one has to start somewhere.

I think Jim had higher expectations of this forum or at least the subject of Affiliate Marketing. Perhaps he should have pm'd Lynn and asked to become a moderator himself.

He became disheartened when the moderators did not show any interest in this thread.

Of course the very thing that perturbed Jim was the very thing that makes Affiliate Marketers successful. That's why a signature file is approved for this forum.

It's a shame that one thread can cause a person to leave the forum. Maybe he didn't feel wanted because others weren't as interested in what Jim was.

There's more than one thread on this subject. A whole lot to learn. But if you're not happy where you are, change locations. I wish Jim luck.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve :)
Steve_G
Elite Member

Postby Ron Killian » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:40 am

Hate to bring up an old thread, but sadly no one has added to it, as some hoped they would.

I don't get over here as much as I'd like to, but I believe I do provide some value or try to help others, least hope so. But after spending some time on the board tonight, so much spam and one timers getting a link back. Real shame. Don't seem to even be many really looking for help.

I saw two posters in one thread with almost identical replies.

I'm sure it takes alot of time to keep a forum clean. Seems you could get some volunteers to moderate, or give them something to do the work. Better than letting it die.

Course as mentioned, so many forums are just full of spam.
Ron Killian

Postby mellymom3 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:13 pm

I have disappeared off of all of the forums I was "addicted" to last year. I have recently found my way back on to a few to see what new topics are being discussed. I have to agree that some of the threads appear to be close to others in the past.

It almost feels like the emails I get bombarded with. How many people have to send me the same affiliate email promoting the same product? Sometimes I think there are only certain products out there because I seem to get the same thing from everyone. What is the sense of joining different forums or lists if you are never going to learn or be exposed to anything new?

If we want to hold on to the old gang we need to discuss new things. With so many people being afraid to reveal their secrets that are working to make them money, there seems to be nothing left to say.

Is there no way we can discuss some tips for others to use without giving away the keys to our own "wealth"? I realize some people leave these forums because they do get too busy and are making money, but still, if everyone is working to set their businesses to work on autopilot, where is everyone?

Even if people get discouraged because they don't make money they should still come back here to keep looking out for more tips or try to ask questions for help.

We all need input when we are doing our testing. Where else but here is the best place to find people to assist us?

Anyways, just my two cents......
mellymom3

Postby tknoppe » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:00 am

My thoughts on what a forum is: Forums are made of up of a community of people. I don't see it as one person's role to answer all questions - but a group effort to help when someone posts a question. If someone has the answer & can help, jump in and offer your 2 cents of advice! That's how forums function best.

Here at SSWT: We moderators do our best to answer & reply, but anyone can also reply and share their knowledge too. So think of this as a community where everyone shares what they know.

If you are new, share your questions, so others can answer and those answers will then in turn help the community.

As for how things were handled on this forum in the past: I can't answer to that. We have new moderators here. We are doing our best to stay on top of threads, reply & help. Lynn is busy and certainly can not answer every single thread herself - that's why we're here.

So please, stop by, read & answer threads too. Join in the conversation. :)
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby terrapin719 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:35 am

I think what you mentioned about people holding onto their own set of keys and secrets to wealth is so true, and unfortunate. Far too often people find what they're looking for and then move on and forget about the people that helped them get to where they are.

The boards have been a buzz with new topics and chatter, so I do encourage everyone to jump in whenever they can and don't be afraid to ask questions.
terrapin719
Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to Affiliate Marketing