This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

What has happened to this forum?

Join us here to discuss affiliate marketing in detail - from how to choose programs, how to promote programs, content-based websites, product-based websites and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

What has happened to this forum?

Postby Jim Guinn » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:40 pm

What has happened to this Affiliate Forum. The description reads:
Join us here to discuss affiliate marketing in detail - from how to choose programs, how to promote programs, content-based websites, product-based websites and more..."

But, it is becoming more and more an advertisment forum for members' affilaite programs...or, one-shot posters.

Doesn't anyone want to talk "affiliate marketing" anymore.

Jim
Jim Guinn

Postby onlineleben » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:18 am

Jim,
I am with you. That quality deterioration made me not come here for a long time. Just checking out if things improved - and I have to say I am not really sure if things improved. Some of the sub-forums really invite people to spam or provide very uninformative posts.
Let's hope that Lynn gets it controlled a little better so the forum returns to old quality as it was years and years ago.
onlineleben

Postby nar321 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:17 pm

onlineleben wrote:Jim,
I am with you. That quality deterioration made me not come here for a long time. Just checking out if things improved - and I have to say I am not really sure if things improved. Some of the sub-forums really invite people to spam or provide very uninformative posts.
Let's hope that Lynn gets it controlled a little better so the forum returns to old quality as it was years and years ago.

Granted Lynn needs to actually bring onboard persons who can control the forums better. But the report button is there for a reason, use it. SSWT is a long ways from the level of spam that I've come across on some Forums.
nar321
Elite Member

Postby onlineleben » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:27 am

the report button is there for a reason, use it.

That's right, but I do not want to report whole subforums.
We will see what Lynn thinks about this ...
onlineleben

Postby Jim Guinn » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:45 am

Despite the report button, which I use whenever I see the need, I am just wondering...as I have before...why more people in this forum don't want to talk affiliate marketing. Afterall, there are over 11,000 members.

One of the Moderators of this forum hasn't made a post at SSWT since August 8th. The other Moderator hasn't made a post in this specific forum since April 4, 2007!. There's nobody minding the store.

Even in the Affiliate Manager forum, there is little discussion...and, you don't have to be an affiliate manager to share in or learn from that forum. A interesting post was made there a few days ago. I am surprised I am the only one that had a view on it.

I used to like SSWT a lot, but it has slipped tremendously IMO...and the affiliate discussions are almost non-existent. That's a shame.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim
Jim Guinn

Postby nar321 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:27 pm

onlineleben wrote:
the report button is there for a reason, use it.

That's right, but I do not want to report whole subforums.
We will see what Lynn thinks about this ...

Just for the record using the report button doesn't report sub forums just the post that concerns you.
nar321
Elite Member

Postby Jim Guinn » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:43 pm

Thanks nar321,

We know that, but at times it seems like whole sub forums...especially the affiliate forum...are filled with worthless spam.

Jim
Jim Guinn

Postby Publisher-For-You » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:02 pm

Jim Guinn wrote:, I am just wondering...as I have before...why more people in this forum don't want to talk affiliate marketing. After all, there are over 11,000 members.

Jim, I've had these same feelings.

It's not just this forum.

If it were, you could easily solve your problem just by going elsewhere.

Most webmaster forums seem to be dying, compared to the enthusiasm that was evident just a few years ago.

When the web launched, it was truly a historic event, and everybody got really wound up in it. Having a website was exciting!

Now, having a website is about as exciting as having business cards. Ok, that's overdoing it a bit, but you get the idea.

Some analysis:

1) Internet publishing is largely show biz, and you can't run the same show for decades and expect folks to maintain the same level of interest. Webmaster forums haven't changed much in years now, and folks are getting bored.

2) VERY FEW forum owners seem to get the importance of their membership lists. Sending out a regular mailing listing hot threads is necessary to keep old members engaged, but most forum admins don't bother.

3) Discussion formats based on push instead of pull, email instead of the web, are considered old hat. Yes, 11,000 members, most of whom have likely completely forgotten they were ever here.

4) Moderation is considered too much work, or even offensive. Thus standards droop to the lowest common denominator, and the most experienced and articulate posters decide their time is better spent elsewhere, which further accelerates the decline. A meeting where anybody can say anything about anything, is not a meeting really worth attending.

Personally, I'm changing tactics to:

1) Small is beautiful. I don't want 10,000 members, masses of anonymous screen names wandering past each other casually. I want a few dozen members who are fully involved with each other, building real long term relationships.

2) Email is beautiful. The conversation goes to the reader, not the other way around.

In my latest blog post, I'm literally down on my knees, begging you to tell me what part of the above I've got wrong. I don't really know the answer to recapturing the old magic, but I'm trying.

Help me out please!
Publisher-For-You

Postby onlineleben » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:26 am

1) Internet publishing is largely show biz, and you can't run the same show for decades and expect folks to maintain the same level of interest. Webmaster forums haven't changed much in years now, and folks are getting bored.

I only agree in sofar that it is a biz.
And although businesses are changing or have to approach customers in a different way, the basics remain the same.
If you are interested in your business (and you should), you also maintain the interest in resources that provide interesting and helpful know-how as well as contacts.

Sending out a regular mailing listing hot threads

IMHO this only works when the content is excellent. Currently we have a spammy and me too environment on this forum which needs to be cleaned up first.

11,000 members, most of whom have likely completely forgotten they were ever here.

I wonder how many of those are onetime posters ...
An other forum I frequently check out just blocks the account when there was no activity for a certain period of time (6-7 month).

Small is beautiful.

Yes, a small and highly targeted group plus ..

Email is beautiful

and work for results like Frank Kern gets tem.

Have a nice day
onlineleben

Postby Jim Guinn » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:47 am

Hi Publisher-For-You,

I think you make some excellent points. I agree, some of the forums I have been a member of are becoming like ghost towns or seem to contain the same old posts over and over.

However, there are other forums that are thriving...perhaps forums have a cyclical life. Even Allan's forum, of which I see you are an active member, has become stale. Maybe it is time for me to move on from SSWT and stop trying to fight what may be the inevitable.

Maybe it's not so much a shame as it is a way of life.

Jim
Last edited by Jim Guinn on Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Guinn

Postby Jim Guinn » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:54 am

If you are interested in your business (and you should), you also maintain the interest in resources that provide interesting and helpful know-how as well as contacts.

Hi onlineleben,

Another "view" from the one I just posted above...

Perhaps you can "outgrow" a forum at some point too. No slam against Lynn. I think she does a lot and I admire and respect her, but perhaps certain forums attract a certain level of online marketer. If an online marketer grows, s/he may outgrow the level of discussion on a particular forum, and that's when it is time to move on.

In fact, some forums that were very valuable to me a number of years ago, no longer seem to be. While one that was "over my head" a few years ago has become the focus of my forum involvement.

Jim
Jim Guinn

Postby onlineleben » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:43 am

Jim,
regarding "outgrow a forum" I completely agree with you. but what we see in this forum is a lack of participation and too much of what I call forum spam.
As you already mentioned to PFY, even the WF looks stale sometimes and is quite often seen as a promotion tool rather than a forum were members help each other.
onlineleben

Postby onlineleben » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:58 am

Jim, just to finish this:
A nice piece of forum spam can be found in the ppc section (currently below my recent post there). One user registered in January and bumped his post to the top 4 times over the next week or two - no other posts under that user-id - just blatant selfpromotion.
Interesting to see that the word "free" still attracts a lot of viewers but the change of googles QS that directly affects your wallet, is not. :wink:

You wrote:
Maybe it is time for me to move on from SSWT and stop trying to fight what may be the inevitable

I hope you do not!
It is easy to leave but would be more rewarding if your participation leads to a better organized and maintained forum.
onlineleben

Postby Jim Guinn » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:37 am

onlineleben,

I will stay and see what comes out of this, however, it is not the first time I have brought up this subject. See http://www.selfstartersweeklytips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24154.

Jim
Jim Guinn

Postby Publisher-For-You » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:13 am

Jim Guinn wrote:If an online marketer grows, s/he may outgrow the level of discussion on a particular forum, and that's when it is time to move on.

And/or....

It could also be a time for such a marketer to keep growing, by becoming a leader on a forum that is populated largely with folks who know less than we do.

We may ask, "what's in it for me?" This is indeed a reasonable question.

It's also the very same question the readers of our own websites are constantly asking, as they read our websites.

So perhaps there's something to be said for activities that help keep one in the frame of mind of serving others, given that our success online may largely depend on that mindset.

As President John Kennedy once said....

Ask not what your forum can do for you, but what you can do for your forum.

Here's a photo of Kennedy giving his famous forum speech. :-)

Publisher-For-You

Next

Return to Affiliate Marketing