This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

A link cloaking question

Join us here to discuss affiliate marketing in detail - from how to choose programs, how to promote programs, content-based websites, product-based websites and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Do use cloaking on your affiliate links?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:10 am

Yes, definitely
50%
No, I don't need
No votes
As much as I can
33%
What the hell link cloaking is?
17%

Total votes : 6

A link cloaking question

Postby muratos » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:10 am

Hi,

I guess I am losing so much sales commission through Amazon on my 100% natural Google search trafficked appleiphonecases.blogspot.com

Since it is a blogger account, I have used javascript before to hide links but new Firefox version made the control over status bar as optional to users. Most users have now Firefox installed without javascript on Status Bar and I see that the number increases.

Is it a good idea to buy a domain name something recommendedproductsblabla.com and make the URL redirects using there?

What do you think? I think in that way, I will be able to hide products for any blogspot account. I don't want to use tinyurl or something because if they close or change their structure one day, we are lost :)

And I forgot to add.. What is the best affiliate link management software with a good GUI to track as well the counts. Any free offers exist to run a php & mysql environment?

Thanks

Muratos
muratos

Postby Dustie » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:39 am

Hi Muratos

I also think it is good to cloak links - I have my own domain name and create a new file in my epanel for each affiliate link I promote.

Cheers
Dustie
Dustie

Postby Jim Guinn » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:31 am

I cloak everything I can. You never know who is going to try and get around your affiliate ID or try and steal it.

Jim
Jim Guinn

Postby Daniel Cassidy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:16 pm

I think that you need to cloak links more in the Internet marketing niche, because every one knows what an affiliate link looks like. Outside of IM I don't think it's really needed, but one thing that can hurt your sales in cookie stuffers. The more people that are stuffing cookies, the more money is being taken away from you even if they came and visited your page first.

Although it's very risky, sometimes in order to come out ahead in the affiliate game, you need to use the same cut throat tactics that black hat marketers use to steal your money from under your nose and make your hard work obselete.
Daniel Cassidy

Postby robert adams » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:52 pm

from here:
http://www.tamingthebeast.net/articles3 ... evenue.htm

Create a new web page that contains the following HTML code in it (replace the merchantabc url with your own affiliate link) and save it.

<html>
<head>
<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">
<meta http-equiv='refresh' content='0; url=http://www.merchantabc.com/app/aftrack.php?afid=12345'>
</head>
</html>

Then, instead of using your personal link with your cookie ID as you can see below:

http://www.merchantabc.com/app/aftrack.php?afid=12345

you would have a link that looks like the example below:

http://www.yoursite.com/offer.htm (link to the page you created)

As soon as someone clicks on this new link, the page would automatically redirect to your affiliate URL. Make sure that you set the link to your cloaked page in a new window so that you don't lose visitors from your site.
Search Engine Issues

The Robots line in the cloaking page is to prevent Search Engines such as Google trying to index the page. Google hates meta refresh pages as it perceives them as a spamming technique. It's safer to keep search engine robots out of the page, and since the page will have no content, there's no point in it being indexed anyway.

Don't be tempted to have search engines index the cloaking page in hope of your affiliate URL page will be listed highly; the penalty imposed by some search engines if you are caught is not worth the risk.
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Al Smith » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:44 pm

Great post Robert,

I have always had redirects through my sites, not to cloak but to collect stats. I found it interesting and helpful knowing when people clicked those links.

I didn't even think about how the search engines viewed them though.

I have probably received quite a few penalties because of it.

I shall have to go through my pages and correct this situation, but from now on I will appreciate your page formula.

Thanks.

Al
Al Smith
Elite Member

Postby amjonathan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:19 am

Some people think that even though you cloak an affiliate link as a redirect, the search engine bots will still crawl through the redirect. Why wouldn’t they?

The only thing you can do that might help with stopping a bot from seeing your affiliate links is the “nofollow” tags.
amjonathan

Safe Link Cloaking - Something You Should Know...

Postby totalnet » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:19 pm

I'm a strong believer in link cloaking - but it's critical to know that some affiliate links require different types of cloaking so you keep your commissions.

Specifically, Internet Explorer (IE) will block any non-validated cookie which means your commission won't be credited and you lose money.

Since IE is about 75% of the marketshare, this can be a devasting loss if your affiliate link uses non-validated cookies.

You can find out what type of affiliate link you have by using an affiliate link validator like SAFE Link Cloaker

And yes, it’s my product, but you should definitely take a look if you ever cloak your links. You don’t want to lose out on your commissions using the wrong type of cloaking method on your affiliate links.

I’m happy to answer any questions you may have.
totalnet

Return to Affiliate Marketing