[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Do You Cloak Your Links? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Do You Cloak Your Links?

Join us here to discuss affiliate marketing in detail - from how to choose programs, how to promote programs, content-based websites, product-based websites and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Do You Cloak Your Links?

Postby Daniel Cassidy » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:34 pm

I was wondering how many people actually cloak their links and if you have verified that you make more sales with them cloaked as opposed to raw affiliate links.

I think that it is only neccesary if you are in the IM world. I don't think it matters if you promote non-IM products because these people don't know what affiliate links are.

What's your thoughts?
Daniel Cassidy

Postby MommyEnterprises » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:52 pm

I don't but have wondering for quite some time if I should be.
MommyEnterprises

Postby Getagrip » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:23 pm

Getagrip

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:45 pm

I create redirect links on my own domain name. This serves as cloaking of course, but also gives me complete control over the link.

Too many times over the past few years, a program has ceased or a merchant decided to change their linking structure - meaning any direct affiliate link I had out on the web no longer worked. When I create a redirect link, I can always replace it with a page that says "this product is no longer available" and make a suitable recommendation. Or I can update the link to the new link styles, etc.

This is particularly important for affiliate links you are putting in ebooks or reports - as there is no other way to update those links once those files are downloaded.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Oregon Coast Guy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:34 am

Oregon Coast Guy

Postby Jim Guinn » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:02 pm

I cloak some links...others I do not.

A question I should know the answer to by now, but really don't......Just how do link thieves steal links?

Jim
Jim Guinn

Postby Oregon Coast Guy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:39 pm

The most well-known way to have affiliate commissions stolen is through, what is called, a Parasite. This spyware is usually installed client-side through the installation of free screensavers, games, toolbar helpers and the like. Note, I said usually. It's good to have a good spyware killing software on your computer.

Parasites over-write your link and take credit for the sale you generated. It's pretty dastardly stuff. That's why I promote the program I do. I hate to see people get ripped off.
Oregon Coast Guy

Postby Jim Guinn » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:22 am

Thanks, OCG.

So which method would be most effective....creating redirects as Lynn does or something such as Covertlinks Affiliate Link Cloaker...or another one of the many link cloakers available out there on the market today?

When I cloak I use a redirect. Is there a "weakness" in using redirects that can be exploited by thieves?

Jim
Jim Guinn

Postby Oregon Coast Guy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:07 am

Not sure, my friend, about the redirects. I'm not a coder by nature, so if I can find an application to do what I need, I tend to go for it.

I used to promote another cloaker, but started finding some holes in it that I didn't like. After looking around a lot, I had covertLinks recommended to me and I really like the way it works. More powerful than the other one.
Oregon Coast Guy

Postby Sherman C. » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:14 am

For me, link cloaking would be more to help track sales, results, traffic
and PPC campaigns.
Sherman C.

Postby Stevekiwi » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:43 am

Hi Guys
I'm new to all this forum stuff but I have just started using tinyurl to cloak my links.
It enables me to track which sites are converting best using different cloaks on the same link in different areas or campaigns.
I am also wary of the look of some affiliate links, especially clickbank hoplinks that can easily be changed to another affiliate ID and loss of the opportunity for commission.
Maybe only an issue with IM but a good practise to get into I feel.
Stevekiwi

Postby yeng29 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:03 am

I realise that using an affiliate link cloaker is definitely a necessity nowadays if you want to do affilliate marketing, as my own experience & the experience of others have shown that visitors are definitely more likely to click on your affiliate links if they are cloaked, compared to just showing your raw & sometimes even "ugly-looking" links as they are. In fact, on a few occasions in the past I was even told by some prospects that they were "turned off" just by looking at my raw uncloaked affiliate lnks which I was using ! :-)

You can see an example of 1 of my cloaked links in my 2nd URL below about an upcoming product launch, in which i used the sofware myAffiliateAssistant. Another great resource I discovered for cloaking affilliate links is at www.viralurl.com, where you can sign up to be free member & get tools to cloak your own affiliate links.

John Yeng
yeng29

Postby onesuccess » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:04 am

I cloak my affiliate links for all my marketing.
However, I do believe outside of the IM area it
really is not necessary. Cloaking as suggested
is a great way to track your ads to see where
you should be focusing your time and money.

I also do some domain redirects such as Lynn
mentioned above for ebooks and reports.

James
onesuccess

Postby edysby » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:35 am

Which cloaking software is good?

Another question, I believe most of you join cj. Cj's affiliate links is to long and looks ugly. Do you also cloak it to increase sale?

Thanks
edysby
Elite Member

Postby theuniek1 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:19 pm

theuniek1

Next

Return to Affiliate Marketing