[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Percentage to pay affiliates • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Percentage to pay affiliates

Join us here to discuss affiliate marketing in detail - from how to choose programs, how to promote programs, content-based websites, product-based websites and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Percentage to pay affiliates

Postby Elizabeth » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:29 pm

Elizabeth

Postby americanwahm » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:27 pm

americanwahm
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:25 am

I agree also - 50% is industry standard for info products. And Kelly makes a great point. Consider it the price for a long-term lead that you will be able to market your other products/services/offers to through your list and members area.

Another point to consider:

With no affiliates, you sell 50 copies of your product = $1350.00
With 100 affiliates selling one copy each, plus you selling 50 copies = $2700.00

Since this is a virtual product, there is not that much additional work on your end per sale. If the process is automated, the work is done upfront. Considering that an affiliate team (a sales force) can increase your sales exponentially... you stand to earn far more by keeping them happy ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Ladan Lashkari » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:03 am

Ladan Lashkari

Postby Paul Wilson » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:45 pm

Choose between 45% and 60%
Paul Wilson

Postby Jim Guinn » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:12 am

Always give affiliates the most you can. They not only are doing your marketing, but without them, you would have a lot less sales.

Yes, 50/50 or higher is standard with ebooks.

Jim
Jim Guinn

Re: Percentage to pay affiliates

Postby theuniek1 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:06 pm

theuniek1

Postby Jeff Casmer » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:25 am

Hi,

It has to be 50/50...you want people excited about the product....

Jeff Casmer
Jeff Casmer

Postby AuctionCUT.com » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:21 am

Ask yourself, if you was promoting the product as an affiliate what percentage would you like.

Would you promote a similar product for under 50% commission?

I know you've put a lot of hard work into writing the ebook, but affiliates who promote the product have put a lot of work into building up their websites and lists.
AuctionCUT.com

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:19 am

Hi everyone!

Wow, there has been a lot of movement recently on this thread, considering that I posed the question a while ago! Thanks for all of the responses, and keep the opinions coming!

I did choose a 50/50 commission split, for many of the reasons that have been posted here. I know that affiliates may have expertise that I don't have, or may have access to resources that I don't, or they may be way further along in the learning curve than I am.

So that's the way that I'm trying to look at things.

But at the same time, I also think, "Gee, if those sales had been non-affiliate sales (or sales with a smaller commission), I would be at $$$ instead of $$."

And I think that could be a healthy thing. Because it motivates me to find new marketing techniques and to learn more about various web design techniques so that I can make more sales, etc. It forces me to identify weaknesses in my own development, so that I can make more sales overall so that everyone benefits, including affiliates.

Also, the experience makes me think: "How can I get 30 sales a week from this one product?"

Of course, the flip side of that question is "How can I get 30 additional products out there?"

:D

Thanks so much! Keep the ideas coming!

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Postby Getagrip » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:11 am

Yeah, 50/50 is always good. Sometimes, I've run into affiliate programs on Clickbank which only offer a 40% commission, and I think something like "cheapskate".

Just an FYI, I actually wrote a college financial planning guide for high school and college students - it basically shows students how to budget. That's where "Getagrip" comes from - my book is called "Get A Grip On Your College Finances".

I haven't really done a whole lot with it, but I may try to get it up and running online soon...so maybe we can team up or something like that!
Getagrip

Postby john925 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:03 pm

john925

Postby DesigningLife » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:05 pm

Hi Elizabeth,

I agree with others who have said around 50% would be more incentive for affiliates to join and use stronger marketing techniques.

I'm just down here looking for help in beginning my very first affiliate program...what I need, etc, and ran across your question. I'd like to mention a couple things which you may be overlooking.

Earlier you had mentioned that you could make $$$ rather than $ if the sales had been your own rather than through affiliates. Please keep in mind that just because you're having affiliates promote your product does not mean you cannot make sales directly yourself as well.

Also, when affiliates "pre-sell" you and your product to their readers, you are suddenly in a position to turn these people into YOUR customers for a long time to come...which can be far more valuable than an initial sale on one awesome item. I would suggest pre-planning how you will follow up with these customers to gain their trust in you and your products. It's kind of like being asked, "would you like fries with that?", when ordering a Big Mac.

Perhaps you could surprise buyers with a bonus they aren't expecting - just for ordering. This could be a free opt-in six week informative "newsletter" providing brief and helpful suggestions in conjunction with your product...maybe including college financing options, etc(?) I'm not sure what would appeal to your niche but I'm sure that you already do know. ;)

I think the goal is not only to provide the one awesome thing you have to sell them, but let them know you have a sincere interest in seeing them achieve their goal with your product, keep them interested, keep them gaining trust in you and keep them in tow for promoting your future products to.

I have a lot to learn and may be wrong, but at least, that's what I *think* would bring some long-term following and recurring sales for you.

PS: I just wanted to add that as an affiliate it has been my experience that "good" affiliates will often purchase a product themselves before promoting it. It is my opinion that, if your affiliates are pleased, even THEY will seek out your future products either to use for themselves, or to promote for you, or both.
DesigningLife

Return to Affiliate Marketing