[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Using Affiliate Datafeeds • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Using Affiliate Datafeeds

Join us here to discuss affiliate marketing in detail - from how to choose programs, how to promote programs, content-based websites, product-based websites and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Using Affiliate Datafeeds

Postby moneybox » Fri May 26, 2006 12:56 pm

Can someone point me in the correct direction to get information on how-to use datafeeds on a affliate site?

I understand how they are used and what they are used for, its the implementation that I am having a problem with.

Thanks in advance,
Trevor
moneybox

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri May 26, 2006 3:50 pm

There seem to be different types of datafeeds, and different ways to use them. You might have to get more specific to get your questions answered, as there isnt anything listed in the general searches or even Wikipedia for 'datafeed' or 'data feed'.

I'm in the same boat - while I've used them a bit, mainly affiliate datafeeds, I'd love to learn more about them and about the various ways we can use them.

In the case of affiliate datafeeds, most merchants offer ways to use them if they offer the feeds. For example, at (an affiliate network that specializes in physical products), offers datafeeds for each of their merchants, along with easy ways to use those datafeeds.

If you are working with them, click Tools > Get Data Feeds and you will see that you can download each merchants datafeed in Text, XML or CVS format. There are tools & programs you can use to do various things with these feeds. Or you can go to Tools > Dynamic Datafeeds and it gives you copy & paste code to display the datafeeds on your site (in PHP, ASP or ColdFusion) and it even tells you how you can customize it.

Most affiliate merchants give you tools and options like this if they offer a datafeed that you can use to promote their products.

I know to use Datafeeds with WordPress, which is something I am about to try out and test on some of my not-yet-public blogs. I love the concept - but like you, I just havent fully gotten my mind wrapped around all of the options.

Anyone else using datafeeds and care to pipe in with some info here?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Kirk » Fri May 26, 2006 5:06 pm

Trevor,

I've modelled quite a bit of my business around eBay's affiliate datafeeds - it's powerful, but I must admit it took a little work to setup. With eBay, there are two key approaches to tapping into their feeds, Javascript and XML. The Javascript path is dead simple, but you're pretty much stuck with their layout (but works for most people). With XML, you can pretty much do what you want.

Here's a sample of (someone's else) Javascript site: http://www.handbags-and-purses.org/
And here's one of my XML sites that the above site *inspired*: http://www.handbagszone.com/

After some consternation, I decided to bite the bullet and go the XML path using PHP. One of the key reasons I initially choose XML was to leverage the updated content for the search engines bots (since javascript is ignored by SE) - the auction data is updated in real time and is always changing. I also knew I could leverage the same PHP code base over all my sites.

My favorite feature of eBay's affilate programming interface is the ability to insert tracking codes into the affiliate URLs. This is *key* for me since I track the keyword page they bought from and the specific Adwords campaign that got them there. It would be a crap shoot without this tracking feature...

Check out http://affiliates.ebay.com/ for program details. If you decide to go for it, I'll be happy to give you some code examples to get you going...

p.s. Teli's datafeed tool looks pretty cool - I checked it out sometime ago and was really impressed with it. :o
Last edited by Kirk on Fri May 26, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk

Postby moneybox » Fri May 26, 2006 7:44 pm

Thank you both for you quick replies. When I get e bit more time, I will research(read more about) the suggestions and let you know how things are going.

Thanks again,
Trevor
moneybox

Postby mogsta22 » Sat May 27, 2006 5:52 pm

mogsta22

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun May 28, 2006 8:20 pm

That would be cool. I'm setting mine up next week using her script. I'll send you a PM ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby theuniek1 » Tue May 30, 2006 6:22 pm

theuniek1

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue May 30, 2006 7:31 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby moneybox » Tue May 30, 2006 10:36 pm

moneybox

Postby theuniek1 » Wed May 31, 2006 12:05 pm

Hi Trevor,
I just set up a site called . Not too much has been done with it so far, but as time comes available, I will develop a template and get to work on the site.

~ Teli
theuniek1

Postby affiliates » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:21 pm

I've also used Teli's wonderful script and thought it so good I created a short training video for my subscribers.

You can view it here:

http://www.affiliates-world.com/affilia ... videos.htm

I also own Fourth World Web Merge but haven't used it seriously, though it does seem an excellent way to take any kind of data and convert into static HTML (which can then be imported into XSite Pro)
affiliates

Postby moneybox » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:02 pm

moneybox

pre made ones

Postby cscarpero » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:22 am

A am in the process of using them with my blogs. I have RSS2Blog and will be auto posting them. There is a guy over on Warrior selling some pre made ones that you just plug in your id and run with it.
cscarpero

Postby theuniek1 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:47 pm

theuniek1

Postby PattyGale » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:25 pm

PattyGale

Next

Return to Affiliate Marketing