[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - How Do You Handle Link Exchanges? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

How Do You Handle Link Exchanges?

Want to team up with other professionals for content exchanges or product development? Join us here to discuss Joint Ventures, networking and co-promotion topics.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

How Do You Handle Link Exchanges?

Postby angelaaa » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:02 am

I was wonderring if I could ask you a question that might be of use to other forum, site, and blogging owners.

How do you handle link exchanges? Are you one to allow links from folks that do not link back to you OR are you one that feels it's not that important?

I have struggled with this for quite some time and am a big believer in giving credit where it's due. Especially when you are such a polite and giving person yourself... know what I mean?

How do you handle that aspect of it Lynn...

Also, if you are a site and/or forum owner I would like to know what your philosophy is on this topic.

Thanks everybody for sharing...

Angela
angelaaa

Postby angelaaa » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:59 pm

angelaaa

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:33 am

I am not sure I understood your question, so let me know if this doesnt answer it:

Here is how I approach Linking & Link Exchanges:

I link out to relevant information and resources whenever possible, and especially if it is particularly useful within the context. This type of linking is usually done within content areas on static pages, or within forum/blog posts. No reciprocal linking is expected, of course. It is meant as a benefit to the reader.

I also use affiliate links and accept paid links on some areas, pages, sites. This is done through affiliate networks/programs, Text Link Ads, PayPerPost, Performancing Partners, etc. I filter these personally, am paid for them, and obviously dont expect linking in return.

I prefer for people to link to one of my pages/sites because it is relevant within their own content and because it is a resource they want to share with their visitors. This is the best type of inbound link you can get. Like my own outbound linking as explained above, I dont feel obligated to reciprocate the linking... though I do keep an eye on inbound links and the sites they are on, and will often link back if I find a resource that my readers would enjoy.

I dont really have time to manage mass link exchanges, so I focus on writing quality (link worthy) content instead - and also on link-building resources like Technorati. From time to time I will outsource link exchanging if I am focusing on a particular site (usually new) or a specific promotion.

That said, I pay special attention to the sites/links/products of the people that participate on my forum or comment on my blog(s) and will often approach people for a link exchange if its a great match for us both. This is usually done through Private Message at the forum and involves relevant links on internal content pages.

I'm much more likely to go that route with a 'link exchange' than to reply to the crazy number of random requests I get via email from people I dont know.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby angelaaa » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:55 pm

Thanks Lynn.. that's interesting. Would you so that other people link to you more than you link to them? Or would you say that it's a pretty fair arrangement between you and whomever you've approached privately to link with?

One other question, if you do participate in a link arrangement with somebody with the expectation that they will link back.. what do you do if they don't? Do you continue to link to them because the information is useful?

How do you know where and when to draw the line?

Would anybody else like to share their take on this?

Thanks,

Angela
angelaaa

Postby MomGadget » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:01 pm

Angela ~ this is an interesting question. Within my "niche" I had set up an exchange of sorts that would benefit both sides. I arranged for publicity for support groups, events, etc. and in exchange for my posting their information on my high traffic site, I only asked that they provide a link back.

When it got to where they were giving that link back in some buried, barely existant page, I decided to abandoned the idea altogether.

I was beginning to feel taken advantage of and have tried to keep that in mind in all the exchanges I've done since then.

I just could NEVER imagine asking or expecting someone to link to me and not offering the same in return.

Now in the case of Lynn here, when people are linking to specific relevant articles, that's a bit different. If the article were featuring them personally, I'd think it would be a kind and polite to link back.

It just seems polite to me.

I hope that makes sense :) I feel like I'm rambling.

Gayla
MomGadget

Postby angelaaa » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:19 am

I totally hear ya Gayla.

I think I feel a blog coming on..

Love ya,

Angela
angelaaa

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:10 pm

One-way links are actually very natural and beneficial.

I honestly dont know the ratio between outbound links and inbound links, one-way or reciprocal... I would assume its a good balance though.

I do freely link out, specifically when its relevant to do so, and will often 'blogroll' people who link to my blog, etc. But not unless I feel like it benefits my visitors. My primary obligation is to my readers - always.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby angelaaa » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:42 am

angelaaa

Postby MomGadget » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:17 pm

I do like the idea you came up with Angela. I think you're on to something there.

I'm growing very weary of all the people that want links from me but aren't willing to give the same gesture in return.

It's probably worth dropping link "exchanges" altogether.

Gayla
MomGadget

Postby angelaaa » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:11 pm

Hiya Gayla ~

I can't wait to expand on what I've been thinking as of lately.

I believe somebody has to give the serious networking newbies a break so that they have a fighting chance of gaining some exposure on the internet.

I'm still planning on doing link exchanges.. I'm just going to change how I do so and with whom I exchange links with... it's all going to depend on a lot of things actually.

I don't think link exchanges is a waste of time (for those that think they are)... I think there is a nice balance that works to make everybody happy.

Lord knows I have my own authoritative thoughts on what is beneficial to my readers.

Again.. I'm really glad Lynn Terry shared about this on her blog because it got me thinking of something I had not thought of before.

Hey lady ~ you need to take a break from your keyboard. I'm gonna call you, k?

*Hugs*

Angela :D
angelaaa

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:34 am

I look forward to that :)

Drop us a link when you post your thoughts. I checked out the blog in your sig, but didnt see what you guys were referring to...
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Return to Networking, Joint Ventures & Co-Promotion