[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Forum Marketing Is A Complete Waste Of Time? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Forum Marketing Is A Complete Waste Of Time?

Submit your articles here! All articles in this category may be reprinted - please read the "Guidelines" post first...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Postby tam2005 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:55 pm

By Tammy Embrich

Forum marketing has some tough competition now that social marketing such as Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace (just to name a few) is on a steady rise on the social networks.

I see so many promising networking possibilities on Twitter as I log in each day as much as time will allow me to. I also see my friends and forum owners state that the other social media...Facebook and MySpace are quite effective as well.

So...what is this doing to forum marketing?

Message board posting has resulted in some amazing success in the past and continues to do so. But I have seen first hand that some of the forums have indeed experienced a slow decline in activity. I also have seen forum members that have actually made the statement that the social networks are slowly taking over.

I personally feel that forum networking will continue to be an effective way to market your business but...it will take some hard work and consistency. And it is true...as a forum owner myself and from personal experience, the social networks are proving to be some controversial competition these days.

However, networking on forums will certainly NOT be effective if the member participates in the following manner.

* Sign up on a forum and immediately start making posts without making an introduction post

* Spam the boards with ads and leave

* Spam the members with ads via private message

* Don't participate in discussions and get to know the other members

* Continually answer numerous posts with just one word or two and not contribute any good-quality information. For example: Great post or I agree.

* Includes their website or affiliate links in their posts when not allowed to

* Ignore all community rules

* Make posts with foul language or posts with offensive content

I just don't get how some people believe that the above examples will yield them sales or website traffic. In fact...doing these very things in most cases, will get their account deleted and banned. Do they not realize this?

I do believe in not putting all your eggs into just one basket...meaning don't just use one form of advertising. Using the many promotion resources given to you and utilizing them properly will give you the desired results.

I was just reading on one of the forums and found this quote: "The forum market is pretty much over-saturated." I know this topic will and can be controversial...people have distinct opinions and they are entitled to have them.

So what is your opinion? Do you think forum marketing is on it's way out? Do you think it's a waste of time?

You be the judge.

Article Written By Tammy Embrich

You can find more articles written by Tammy at .
Tammy also offers free work at home job leads, business tips, and other work at home resources at
tam2005

Postby tknoppe » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:39 pm

I believe a forum is only as good as it's moderating team. By that I mean spammers love forums, because they view them as places to do just as you mentioned: join, leave their self-promo ads with no intention of being a contributing member; and without a moderating team in place to deal with these issues, it becomes a problem.

I do believe forums will remain and have their place on the web. There are many types of people in the world and I know not everyone 'gets' or likes Twitter, for example. Others prefer MySpace, Facebook or whatever social networking site of their choice might be. They all have a place - I believe forums as we know them will evolve - which we've already seen with Ning. It's part message forum, part Facebook/MySpace.

But I do believe they will remain on the web and as such, an effective part of our overall marketing plan - but I wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket (so to speak).
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby tam2005 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:31 pm

tam2005

Return to Online Business & Marketing Articles