[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Handling Resistance in Network Marketing • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Handling Resistance in Network Marketing

Submit your articles here! All articles in this category may be reprinted - please read the "Guidelines" post first...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Postby Audrey » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:17 pm

I read something the other day that has been on my mind since I read it. A woman was very upset with her family. Her family was not supporting her decision to invest into a network marketing business. Not only were they not supporting her, but many family members were even ridiculing her decision.

I then read the replies to this woman’s situation. I was very puzzled not only by the original problem but by the answers as well. She received advice to push a bit harder, to be a bit more patient in her dealings with her family and to try a different approach when talking to her family.

My answer was very different. I believe she needs to stop talking to her family about her business. I really believe it’s just that simple.

Have you ever spoken to someone about candidates or ballot issues and discovered you both had very different thoughts on the matter? What do you do? Do you keep coming back hoping to change their mind? Do you bring the subject up every time you’re with them? There is a world of difference between mutual respect and mutual sharing of opinions versus a debate over who’s right and who’s wrong.

What about parenting issues? If you believe in co-sleeping or spanking and someone else does not, those conversations can lead to very hurt feelings and in some cases can ruin a friendship. Would you go back and try to change their mind? Would you try to repackage your opinion to present it again?

I really believe when you have a network marketing business and you run up against negative words and resistance, it’s time to stop talking to that person about your business. There is just nothing to gain from having the conversations. We all like support in our decisions. If you are not getting support, quit seeking it. We all want new customers and new team members. Again, this is not going to happen when you’re talking to someone who disagrees with your choice.

It requires an awful lot of mental energy to argue with those whose opinion is different than ours. I would much rather invest that energy into celebrating my business successes. Where do you want to invest that mental energy?

~ ~

Audrey Okaneko has been in direct sales since 1983. She can be reached at audreyoka@cox.net or you can
Audrey

Return to Online Business & Marketing Articles