[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Profits In Principles • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Profits In Principles

Submit your articles here! All articles in this category may be reprinted - please read the "Guidelines" post first...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Profits In Principles

Postby Dale King » Wed May 16, 2007 7:53 am

Profits In Principles

I recently acquired a new client, which netted me around $7800 over a 30 day period.

The money was nice, but that's not what this article is about.

This article is about the bizarre way in which I acquired this client.

Let me explain:

The client called me on the telephone one day, inquiring about website consultation and copywriting.

He explained to me, he owned multiple websites, including a half dozen adult content sites.

I told him I didn't accept copywriting projects for adult content sites.

The client became beligerent, asking me if I knew who he was and telling me that he could buy and sell me a million times over and would blacklist me among all of his colleagues, if I didn't accept his proposal.

Being a bit of a hothead myself, I told him in no uncertain terms what he could do with his blacklist threat and his proposal.

I hung up the phone, and thought that was the end of the it.

But he called back the next day, still demanding I accept his proposal and still threatening to blacklist me if I didn't.

This time, I was much more cool, calm and collected and politely asked the gentleman not to call me again.

But he called me yet again, the next day.

This time, he was the one who had calmed down. He wanted to know why I wasn't accepting his proposal.

This is what I told him:

"Mr. Jones (not his real name), I will NOT evaluate nor write religious, political, sexual or any sales letters that deal in hate, bigotry, violence or are illegal in any way. Also, I will not work with you, if I'm not excited about your product or service, or if you ask me to lie about or misrepresent your product or service."

Anyway, he said he understood and promised to get back to me.

I honestly didn't expect to hear from him again.

But he called me the next day, and the next, and the next.

In all, he called me a total of eleven times, trying to convince me to accept his proposal. Eleven times, I refused.

Then one day he called and said he was ready to do some business.

He explained he had found someone to write copy for his adult content sites, but wanted me to write copy for his "super duper" car wax site and his "revolutionary" new game software site.

Since he had already hired a copywriter to write copy for his adult content sites, I naturally asked him why he didn't use the same copywriter to write copy for his other sites as well.

He said he wanted to give me some business, because he respected the fact I stood up to him and didn't compromise my principles just to make a few dollars.

He also told me that being wealthy, he was used to getting his own way with people and that I was a breath of fresh air.

Anyway, today that client and I are friends, and we communicate regularly, eiher by phone or via e-mail.

He even invited me to visit him and his family, at their home in beautiful Sanibel Island, FL.

In closing, don't compromise your beliefs, just to make a dollar. There are plenty of clients who will pay you handsomely, for standing up for what you believe.

Have any of you guys ever had a similar experience with a client?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dale King is the owner of the new Internet marketing website, Guruknowledge.org

Want More Sales...Traffic... Success?
Hire An Internet Marketing Expert Today!
http://guruknowledge.org/pages/Internet-Marketing-Help
Dale King

Postby JosephRatliff » Sat May 19, 2007 10:53 am

Dale,

Wow. That is a concept so important to this Internet Marketing field...yet I rarely see anyone say anything about ethics, principles, and the like. Most posts are centered around making money.

<In case someone reading this response is wondering, I have posted about ethics in online marketing elsewhere in the articles section of this forum>

Anyway, yes I have had a similar instance, because unfortunately adult sites are the most popular business on the 'net still...raking in billions of dollars.

I never write for that industry. There are plenty of people who will, and they can have every dollar. It goes against my core beliefs.

Nicely done article, my friend. :)
JosephRatliff
Elite Member

Postby Dale King » Sun May 20, 2007 1:34 pm

Joe, something about this article has struck a chord in people.

I've received more positive comments about this article, than any other article.

In fact, mega article directory Searchwarp actually featured my article on their site for a day.

Out of over 43,000 articles, my article was the most popular article on the entire site for 24 hours, garnering an impressive 2,017 pageviews during that period.

You can imagine what that did for my traffic.

I even picked up a couple of new clients out of the deal.

Anyway, thanks, Joe.

Dale King
Dale King

Postby JosephRatliff » Sun May 20, 2007 5:08 pm

Dale,

It is just simply amazing what holding to two principles will do for your business:

1) Honesty

2) Integrity

Everything else is really not significant when it comes to marketing any business, any time.

Nicely done on the stats too. :)
JosephRatliff
Elite Member

Postby Dale King » Sun May 20, 2007 5:15 pm

I couldn't agree more.

Thanks, Joe. :D

Dale King
Dale King

Return to Online Business & Marketing Articles