This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

What is GodTube?

Submit your articles here! All articles in this category may be reprinted - please read the "Guidelines" post first...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

What is GodTube?

Postby Dale King » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:33 pm

What is GodTube?

If you're of religious faith and have been waiting for a site similar to YouTube, your wait is over. GodTube is here. GodTube is a YouTube like Flash video sharing site that features skits, music videos, filmed sermons and other vehicles to honor and broadcast Jesus Christ.

And according to the mission statement on their website, their focus is simply to use "technology to connect Christians for the purpose of encouraging and advancing the Gospel worldwide."

Now I realize people can be a bit touchy about their religious faith. So just so there's no misunderstanding, when GodTube references God, they are talking about Christianity and Jesus Christ specifically, and not just any 'ole God that you or someone else might believe in.

GodTube was founded in January, 2007 and is the brainchild of Chris Wyatt, a 38-year-old student at the Dallas Theological Seminary and former television producer and Internet entrepreneur.

And although technically, the site is still in its testing phase and has not officially launched, reportedly 50,000-60,000 unique users visit it per day and the site has over 1,500 videos.

A word of warning: If you're the type who takes their religion seriously, GodTube may not be your cup of tea. Its content often borders on comedy and satire.

For example:

One of its most popular videos is titled "Baby Got Book," a somewhat disturbing remix of Sir Mix-A-Lot's 1992 hip-hop smash "Baby Got Back." One of the lines in the video goes: "I like big Bibles and I cannot lie."

Here's what critics of Godtube have to say:

"I wonder if sites like GodTube and Conservapedia will cause more people to leave religion. I can imagine teenage Christians thinking that if this is the Christian version of YouTube, Christianity must be pretty lame." -- OliverLewis, jewishatheist.blogspot.com

"If GodTube is real, that means the fundamentalist Christians have started a war on comedy. Their aim is apparent: to worship Jesus as ridiculously as possible so that there can be no punch lines." -- Rachel, blogspot.com
In closing, whether or not GodTube will stand the test of time remains to be seen. But one thing is for certain, for better or worse, it sure has people talking!
Dale King

Return to Online Business & Marketing Articles