This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Marketing and Fishing?

Positive mindset, success-oriented thinking, a place for 'thinking outside the box', brainstorming & goal achievement... Post your online business goals and your brainstorming threads here.

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, shortstack

Marketing and Fishing?

Postby bopub » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:41 pm

After writing for the film industry for 3 plus years, ad copy and other content for 28 years, you would think I'm ready to retire. But, that's not the case, especially when I took my marketing on a fishing trip.

Learning why the vast majority of marketing efforts fail is much like fishing. Whenever an angler plans a fishing trip, normally the right bait is chose. How many fish you catch is determined if you used the right bait. If we use bait that we think the fish should like, but the fish don't like it, they won't bite.

So what does this have to do with marketing for new clients and getting referrals? When we market, whether it's ads, phone, mail, referrals, email, web sites, seminars, or whatever, we are fishing. Going fishing you must find where they are. Then use the right bait they desire. Get the presentation of the bait in view, wait for the pick-up, set the hook, reel it in and land the fish.

If you try to skip anyone of these steps, you will not catch many fish. Sure, sometimes you can set the hook immediately, and get lucky once, however, if you learn how to tell exactly when to set the hook, you'll catch them every time. Simple intelligence and patience to know when the timing is right is all that matters!

If you have a fish hooked and try to reel in too fast with too much energy, the line will break. If you try to grab and land the fish before the net is ready, it will fall into the water, never to return. If you use bait the fish doesn't like, it'll never bite in the first place - and so on. There is absolutely nothing different about getting clients or fishing.

The fish will not be caught unless you follow very closely the step necessary to catch them. You cannot change how fishing works. If the bait isn't what fish want, or what you're using it goes against their natural choice, they're not going to be caught.

Realistically, let's say you and a partner go fishing, and you purchased some top of the line, fancy lures you thought the fish should like. It turns out the fish would not bite your special lure. Your partner is using bait worms and catches a dozen fish. The only thing your partner can say is "Don't be upset, I guess the fish like worms." Unfortunately, we all do the same thing with our marketing.

We market with "professional" bait that we think the prospects should be interested in, and when they don't reply, we complain. We act surprised they don't respond when we're using the bait we think they should like - not the bait they really want!

What kind of bait do you use to land customers?
bopub

Postby Katherine Reschke » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:12 pm

I love this analogy.

Thank you for sharing.
Katherine Reschke
Elite Member

Postby queenofkaos » Wed May 21, 2008 6:09 am

I really like this analogy too, I've often thought that business was just like fishing.

I have a book that I really like called Fish Tales, it's one in a series of books about the 'Fish Philosophy'.

It's not specifically about marketing but it is about attitude and how using creativity to be unique can improve business and your whole life.

The tagline on the book is Real Life Stories to Help You Transform Your Workplace and Your Life.

It's by Stephen C Lundin, John Christensen and Harry Paul.
queenofkaos
Elite Member

Postby shortstack » Sat May 24, 2008 6:56 pm

I like this!

My "bait" is a nice mixture of the following: the lowest price I can afford for high quality wall covering, awesome customer service (me!--emailing, phoning, sending images samples for rooms, etc.) and a great product. Plus follow up thank you email and discount offers for future sales.

Lisa :)
shortstack
Elite Member

Postby skyjoe76 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:40 pm

Nice analogy of marketing and fishing.

You are absolutely right. It's timing. Close them to early, they will run, close them too late, they'll change their mind.
skyjoe76

Re:Marketing and Fishing?

Postby micheelgeorge » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:11 am

You see it all the time... Fishing guides, good ones, only fishing one or two days a month when they used to fish 20 days a month. They'll tell you they just don't understand where the customers have gone. Customer attrition is a normal part of doing business.
------
micheel

place your ads
micheelgeorge

Return to Quest for Success! Brainstorming & Goal Achievement