[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - What is your area of expertise? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

What is your area of expertise?

Positive mindset, success-oriented thinking, a place for 'thinking outside the box', brainstorming & goal achievement... Post your online business goals and your brainstorming threads here.

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, shortstack

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:15 pm

Not a generality, like "SEO", "Web Design" or "Gardening" - I mean specifically - what is it that you do best? I believe fine-tuning this thought will really help us all to put our focus where it needs to be. For some of us, this may take a little self-exploration...
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby thenewsiewriter » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 pm

Wow Lynn... way to make someone think!

I spoke at a women's conference 3 years ago and the topic was the "search for purpose." I spoke about how we all have very individual giftings and we all have a purpose, whether we realize it or not.

I am gifted in administration and communication. I am very type A, so I can get things done. I love to be creative! I love to write and speak.

I think I am the very best at expressing an idea or vision. I do that in my day job and in my freelance work. I take a vision and express it in words and images. Not in a artsy way - but simpy visual.

Thanks for the deep thinks Lynn! :) Kelly
thenewsiewriter

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:04 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Re: What is your area of expertise?

Postby flensborg » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:58 pm

flensborg

You Have Been Given At Least One Talent And Maybe Many More

Postby Sharon & Roy » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:53 am

Sharon & Roy
Elite Member

Postby WAHumor » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:45 pm

Huh? Me?

Am I on??

Pants...jeez...gimme pants!!

And now...Dan Reinhold!!!

Thank you, thank you...(Ziiipppp!)

Well, for my part...I'd have to say writing and public speaking/performing...

Huh? WHY??

Who let this bum in???

OK, I'll *tell* you why...years of experience on stage, in radio and stand-up training (that's where you get lots and lots of education just to be a stand-up comic).

Which is, of course, why WAHumor.com's gonna hafta take it on the road sometime at a few select conventions, conferences and tea parties...

I'm also great at learning Internet stuff reeeaaaallllyyyy slllloooowwww...
WAHumor
Elite Member

Re: You Have Been Given At Least One Talent And Maybe Many M

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:48 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby WAHumor » Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:56 pm

WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:05 pm

Wow - that is also another one of my favorites, Dan, and I am flattered that you would find it a suitable comparison.

This is definitely true - for one person to give their last penny is much more honored than the rich person to give thousands of pennies, equaling only a small percentage of their assets. "To give is to receive" is a true statement in more ways than one. Something magical happens when you truly reach in and give of yourself...

My father told me something when I was a child, which at the time I thought was the oddest thing. He said to me "If you really want to make a friend, ask them to do something for you". Just like the parable of the talents, it took me a while to figure this out for myself. I think what he was teaching me then was that people enjoy doing for someone else, or giving of themselves (again, that magical thing that happens) - versus you doing something for someone to win their affection. Weird concept to me still, but I understand that it works. Prime example: to take my Grandmother a hot dinner every day at noon (while appreciated) doesnt have near the effect on her attitude or our bond as asking her to help me water all of the flowers or asking her to peel the tomatoes while I cook... people shine best when they are helping others, joining others, or making some type of contribution to life.

To be needed and wanted, to feel useful - these are basic human desires.

Another good post for the day! You guys are really on a roll around here ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Re: You Have Been Given At Least One Talent And Maybe Many

Postby Sharon & Roy » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:43 am

Sharon & Roy
Elite Member

Discover your Strengths!

Postby MelanieRodriguez » Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:21 am

Hello everyone,

A few months ago, I also wondered about people's natural skills and talents. I discovered a book called Now, Discover your Strengths. It was written by the Gallup Organization.

I will not go into the details of the book, but the authors studied the behavior of 80,000 top achievers in the world and it explains that some people have natural talents, innate patterns of thought and behavior. That is the way your brain is wired. And that is what causes you to perform very well in certain roles and areas and poorly in others.

The book comes with an on-line assessment test, to help you discover which themes are stronger for you. The book explains in details why people are wired differently and how the brain works, but in simple easy to understand terms.

The whole theory of the book is that once the connections in your brain have been made, you can't really change them. So, if you are chronically disorganized, you will never become a super organizational freak. However, you can learn to do damage control and learn basic skills, so you can at least function, but it will never become a talent or a strength.

What the authors focus on is that you should instead work at developping your own natural strengths and only do damage control of the areas of "weaknesses". That is what the greatest achievers in the world do.

For example, if someone is totally disorganized, first, they learn enough about personal organization to function in the world, but they mostly, they focus on working AROUND that weakness. They will find jobs where organizational skills are not required, or they will delegate the organizational portion of their work to someone else, for whom it is a strength.

Organization happens to be one of my strengths and I made it part of my business. I help a lot of individuals to get organized, both in their personal and professional lives. I do what I do best, while they can focus on what THEY do best.

My top 5 strengths are Learning, Input, Competition, Intellection and Achiever. I need to learn and do research and organize, compile, ask questions and figure out the how and why, be able to measure my performance, either against others or against objectives - I need to see results and constantly achieve and reach objectives. I plough through work and the more items on my to-do list, the happier I get! I'm highly efficient and organized.

I have rebuilt my entire life and company around this Strengths concept. You wouldn't believe the changes! I am Soooo much happier and fulfilled! I now have focus and purpose in my life and I am not casting myself into roles that are not suitable for me anymore!

I sincerely hope this helps and will help more people to live a life centered around THEIR own strengths!

I also discovered that no strengths are better or worst than others. They are simply different and unique and need to be managed differently.
It has made me more accepting of myself and others.

It's great to hear from people of like-mind!
MelanieRodriguez

Postby Mike Merz » Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:44 am

Mike Merz
Elite Member

Re: Discover your Strengths!

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:03 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby James Mann » Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:41 pm

James Mann

Postby flensborg » Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:40 pm

flensborg