[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Positive mindset, success-thinking, goals & brainstormin • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Positive mindset, success-thinking, goals & brainstormin

Positive mindset, success-oriented thinking, a place for 'thinking outside the box', brainstorming & goal achievement... Post your online business goals and your brainstorming threads here.

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, shortstack

Positive mindset, success-thinking, goals & brainstormin

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:46 pm

I've been in business since late '96... and back then I have to admit that I was young, inexperienced and pretty much just full of excitement and that feeling of being invincible that you have in the very beginning. Actually, those things took me far in business - I just plowed through the start-up year with my focus on success... and I achieved every goal I set out there.

Everyone told me I couldnt do it, or it had been tried before by others already, and then some just looked at me with that "yeah, well we'll see" look... I think this is one of the things that just pushed me harder. I had to prove them wrong ;) LOL ... and I did - which was a really good feeling.

Many of you have heard my story before... I was working as a Unix Sys Admin and married at the time. We had four children between us - his two, mine and then one together. My husband stayed home - he watched after the kids, then 4 months, 5, 5 & 8 and piddled around on the side in electronics.

I quit my job cold turkey and sold everything we owned (I'm being serious here: my shoes, the pictures off the walls, most of our furniture - you name it) to open an electronic repair shop. I had to move us two counties over, as we both had no-compete agreements against us... my husband just shaking his head the whole way. I found us an older house about three miles outside of a big city that had a shop out beside it - and there we lived and worked. No sign, no business cards, no telephones even at first.

Within three months we were meeting our income expectations and the business was rolling good. With squirming baby on my hip and three older children running circles around me that summer, I became the secretary of the MOMS Club, ran the business, and began dabbling in computer training and web design on the side. Within a few short months I had published a manual and was holding classes in town three nights a week, and doing in-home training sessions on off nights. By the end of our first year, I was rewriting the business plan and moved us into a large commercial building right in the middle of the city... and we tripled our income.

My husband left me in early 2000... I gave him the shop and I took WSN (Web Service Network, the web development company I had already started and grown) - he went bankrupt pretty quick after, sadly. I worked WSN from a storefront uptown on the square for about half of that first year... and then my son became ill by the end of 2000 (diagnosed with rolandic epilepsy, long-term depression and severe anxiety). I spent the next six months trying to juggle business, school, a hyperactive 4yo and my son's illness, along with the pressures and expenses of living in the big city. I finally left the city and moved to a lakeside cabin in the middle of nowhere - and homeschooled the kids and worked from my home office.

And there I stayed for two years... happier than I'd ever been in my life. I figured out who I am, bonded with my children, became independent (in all ways) and learned what was most important to me in this life. It was during this 'sabbatical' that I created my "ten year plan" and began to really focus on my business and the direction that I wanted to take with it.

I recently turned 30 years old and moved in with my 91yo Grandmother, as she was unable to live alone anymore. The children are now 6 & 11 years old - becoming more independent and self-sufficient all the time, and Grandmother and the children seem to entertain each other to an extent... I've found the situation to be very positive for us all, so far. While my Grandmother is healthy now, and requiring minimal care (meals cooked, housekeeping & medicines) - I do realize that there will come a time when she will require more of my time and attention.

In case you've read this far and are wondering where in the world I am going with all of this... just a glimpse into my lifestyle ;) I am still single, and I imagine I will be for awhile. With my time and attention so scarce already, I find that people that I meet fall into one of two categories: they are either part of the problem, or part of the solution. I notice now that I am very careful who I associate myself with and where I promise out my time.

Even with all of the changes in my life recently, my Ten Year Plan still rings as Truth to me. It actually came about from a thought I had ten years ago - it hit me again this past year... and I began to realize that my life was unfolding with a deliberate purpose.

Even with this purpose in mind - which really helps me get through the many challenges in my life - I am struggling with managing all of the aspects of my life, goal-achievement, seeing the big picture, etc lately. My definition of "success" has changed dramatically in the last five years, and I find myself grasping for a vision that I can work towards again. Only this time... I know enough to make me hesitate.

When you get bogged down and stretched thin... what is it that you do to get yourself back to that mindset you had when you first started?

My life has changed - in a lot of ways. Many of them are for the better. I have some great things going on right now that I am very excited about. But having just moved and not even being unpacked yet, along with the kids just getting out of school for the summer and the added responsibility of watching after my Grandmother... I am feeling really out of sorts at the moment.

I realize that I have to get caught up, settled in and in my groove before I can get back to that fast pace that I am so used to. I feel like I'm in the middle of a whirlwind at the moment!

The way I am feeling reminds me of the end of the movie Cast Away where he is standing at the crossroads for a brief moment...

I'm ready to put on my 'thinking cap' and figure out what the next chapter of my life is going to be! ... and that is my number one goal right now.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Wow lynn...

Postby James Mann » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:04 pm

Lynn I read every single word you wrote above. I have really come to
trust you and respect you as a friend in this past month.

Has it only been a month? I seems like much longer and that is a good
thing. I am happy to call you friend.

But in the last few minutes I have learned what makes you who you are.

I am proud to have you as a friend and to associate with you.

I know you are committed and I also know that you will meet every goal
that you have set.

I am terrible at setting goals but you have just given me something to
think about for goal setting and how important that is for success.

Thank you for taking the time to write that little novel. :D
James Mann

Re: Wow lynn...

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:50 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Lynn...

Postby James Mann » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:34 pm

you inspire me.

I did something today that I have never had the nerve to do. :D
James Mann

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:50 pm

Wow, James - that's awesome! I find that when you step out of your comfort zone... that's when the doors really start to open up ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Lynn...

Postby James Mann » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:59 pm

I sent that email about the interview.

I am really excited now. :D
James Mann

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:13 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Well Lynn...

Postby James Mann » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:17 pm

James Mann

Postby kathleen » Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:57 am

kathleen

True Leaders Lead By Example

Postby Sharon & Roy » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:22 pm

Sharon & Roy
Elite Member

Postby SBSbookkeeping » Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:14 pm

I hate to follow Sharon and Roy's post - they are always so eloquent in expressing their thoughts - but I do totally agree with them. You are an inspiration to many, and I really appreciate you sharing your story with us. I "discovered" you right after you went through your tornado experience, and I remember thinking at that time what a remarkable person you must be. And when you shared the lessons you learned from your 21 day challenge with us all in your newsletter, I remember thinking that out of the probably hundreds of newsletters I have read over the past 3 years, none had ever inspired me more - it actually stirred my soul. I wish that I could offer you some advice as to how to deal with your crossroads, but I honestly believe that whatever you do will be the right thing. Life has a way of leading you down the right path, when you are paying attention. I am sure that you will never stray too far off the path.

Thank you - I have learned much from you in a short time, and "you make me want to be a better person".

Lynne
SBSbookkeeping

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:07 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Hello everybody...

Postby James Mann » Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:40 am

James Mann

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:09 pm

Thank you, James :D

I just watched 'As Good As It Gets' last week for the first time - what a great movie! And I agree with you... that is one of the most beautiful comments I have ever heard one person say to another - and I sincerely appreciate the reference!!

I am actually having a better day today, thank goodness ;), though as usual it is full of its share of challenges. We all (my grandmother, daughter and myself) woke up with the stomach flu this morning - great start! My 6yo daughter's weekend plans fell through... which affects my plans too, of course. Just little things - a part of our everyday life, I guess.

This is one of the major issues I am struggling with right now, though, like I mentioned above. I would like to figure out a way to have less challenges in my daily life - to have a whole week's worth of days go by that I wake up and do precisely what I intend to do without getting sidetracked by a snowball of negative events.

The types of things I am referring to are the ones that I have no control over. I get sick, feel miserable, get over it and move on. I am not the type of person to let it get me down, honestly - just keep on working no matter what (104 temp... still here. Surgery yesterday... still here. Tornado blows through... work by candle light) - but still it gets downright frustrating after a few years of consistency LOL!

I dont think it is about my 'choices'. I've analyzed all of those and realize which choices I made in the past that were bad and led me in a certain direction, and which choices I made that were good too.

Lately I've been taking a good hard look at my personality type - realizing that I am the type of person that likes to please others (who doesnt to some extent? its the extent that matters the most...). I finally got past being an imperfect perfectionist (boy was that ever frustrating!), but did I go overboard and become perfect at imperfection?

When someone makes a decision in their life, and I get caught in the 'ripple effect'... what can I do about it? I am then stuck making a choice (on how to react, which option to choose to remedy it, etc) that I didnt bring upon myself... neither of the choices being as good as things were before I was faced with having to make that choice in the first place.

Example - and this is on a personal level but a big part of some life choices I am having to make as a result of this sort of ripple effect -

My ex husband decides to stop paying child support (which is court ordered, but paid directly to me). Now I am faced with a decision: Hire a lawyer and sue him, or work harder (& longer hours, which means more time away from my children as a single mother) to make up for the loss of income. If I sue him, he will either go to jail, or he will figure out a way to pay what he owes and stay on track... but he will undoubtedly stop visiting my daughter every weekend (to spite me).

So... Do I work harder - taking the much needed time away from my children. Or do I sue him... and watch my daughters heart break when the visits stop (she is a daddy's girl with a close relationship to her father).

I honestly dont feel like its fair to be put in these types of positions - choosing between two evils - but we all know life isnt fair. So I make a choice and make the best of it - thats what we all do, right? My quest here would be to somehow not be subjected to the poor choices of others, so that the stability that I create in my life remains stable and everything that happens to me is a result of a choice that I make. This doesnt work - trust me LOL - there isnt a single situation that you can think up that wont leave you subjected to LIFE. Tornados, disease and illness, drunk drivers when you're on an innocent trip to the grocery store, needs of others, etc.

There's no remedy or cure or vaccine for this "life stuff" - you cant avoid it. Some people have more of it than others... 'thats life'.

So there you have it - thats what has been circling around in my mind lately... and why I look very closely at people in my life and people that I meet and try to determine whether they are "part of the problem... or part of the solution". Even still... life happens.

How do you deal with your daily challenges? When you organize every little detail, and micro-manage every minute of your day... and you still deal with the constant distraction and interruption of LIFE - then what?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby James Mann » Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:33 pm

James Mann

Next

Return to Quest for Success! Brainstorming & Goal Achievement