This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Article #1 - Turning Down Lots of Directories:

SEO strategy, tips & questions. How to optimize web pages. Search engine algorithms. What affects your rankings. This is where you'll find all discussions related to Search Engine Optimization.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Postby wmsolutions » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:32 pm

We're going to focus on the notion that you can get Directories (and other Inbound Links) to work for your Website for the purpose of Organic Results, as opposed to the other valuable purpose of being seen by Human Visitors via those IB Sources you find to use.

Throughout this article, we're using the term 'Directory' loosely, as a catch-all, to mean inbound (IB) Links in general.

Remember... getting listed in just 10 or 20 High-Rank, High Relevancy Directories (or any other Inbound [IB] Source you're considering listing in) is almost always far more valuable to your own Website Rank than getting listed in 100's or even 1000's of Low-Rank, Low Relevance Directories. Usually, your own Website Rank will *emulate* a weighted average of the Ranking that the Directories you list in have for themselves. This is because the less the Relevance from a robots-perspective, the more you're driven off the Main Pages of Results for Google searches on the Terms you want most. That means fewer visitors, and therefore, lower Rank. Therefore, choose your Directories wisely.

So aim high: take the time to work up really good matches to the Directories where you list your Website, and you'll climb higher in Rank with less effort that way. Many good folks work like mad, often for days and weeks, to find Directories all over the place and get listed in them. Most of those folks don't realize that what they're actually doing (at heavy investment of time and effort, no less!) is getting their Websites *pulled further and further away from Google Front-Page Listings* for their own major Keywords in that 'mass-directory-listing' process.

So - whenever you're interested in listing your Website in a few High Traffic, High Relevance Directories, take a few steps to see where you're headed. Discipline yourself to TURN DOWN lots of easy-to-locate multitudes of low-Rank, low-Relevance Directories, because they pull you further from the Front Pages of Google searches you want most (within limits, however... we go over these in other articles for our newsletter subscribers, and which we will begin to post here for you to consider).

I realize that Directory (and other IB links) Listings is a controversial topic, but for my small-business clients, I use what I teach here. It works very well, and therefore I thought I'd chime in my two cents about what I feel directories are worth for website owners bent on achieving organic rank.

Hopefully you found this information useful!

Ok... I hope you found this tidbit interesting... Please feel free to comment - and stay in touch. :)
wmsolutions

Return to SEO - Search Engine Optimization