[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Keeping track of keywords • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Keeping track of keywords

SEO strategy, tips & questions. How to optimize web pages. Search engine algorithms. What affects your rankings. This is where you'll find all discussions related to Search Engine Optimization.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Keeping track of keywords

Postby angienewton » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:29 pm

angienewton
Elite Member

Postby David Dutton » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:29 pm

Angie

Hey David Dutton here...

As someone who does keyword research for people as a service, I can share with you what I do personally and have my clients do.

Hopefully it will work for you.

I am a very visual person. I like seeing the BIG picture.

What I do is create a mindmap of my entire site using a software
called Mindjet. It isn't cheap but I am addicted to it.

If you google "free mindmapping software" I know there are some out there that will be just fine.

If you do not know what a mindmap is then here is an example.

http://www.mindmapexample.com/samples.php

You can do the same thing on a yellow pad but I like using my computer.

As far as keywords....

1) I take my main keyword and put it in the middle as my main topic.

2) Take 5 secondary keywords and draw five circles coming out from my main circle. Those are your teir two pages.

3) Take 5 more keywords and have them branch off from each one of your tier two pages.

Does that make sense?

Once you do this you will feel like a million bucks because your site sturcture or "bones" as I call it is done. Just add the content.

I do this with ALL of my content sites. I just did it with my greeting card site this week.

If you have any questions then please don't hesitate to ask them.

Dave
David Dutton
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Fri May 02, 2008 1:37 pm

Dave,
Thanks so much for helping me. Once I read about this mind map thing, I have been spending the last hour watching videos on You Tube and reading, trying to understand how to do it. I think I get the basics of it but not sure if I know what you mean by tier two pages.

Could I basically take the keyword weight loss, put that in the middle circle and then go to http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com and take 5 keyword phrases from that?

For example (here is one phrase I won't use personally but will use as a test), if I took the keyword phrase weight loss supplement, then I would branch that off of the weight loss circle and then add more circles and put the names of supplements in those circles? Would those then be separate pages on my website?

Oh I think I'm just confusing myself. HA HA

I would like to learn to do this on paper first.
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby David Dutton » Wed May 07, 2008 9:27 am

Hey Angie

It is really simple but feel free to draw your circles on paper if you like as well.Either way.

Site structure...

Picture it like a pyramid.

1) Main keyword at top.......

2) Then 5 keywords under that side by side....

3) Then under each one of the 5 keywords you have 5 even more niched keywords.

It would go something like....

weight loss --->weight loss diets ---> names of certain diets

See how each page got more niched?

That make sense?

Dave
David Dutton
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Wed May 07, 2008 9:12 pm

Yes, it's starting to make more sense. Thank you for helping me. I appreciate it.
angienewton
Elite Member

Return to SEO - Search Engine Optimization