[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - To dash or not to dash in domain names? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

To dash or not to dash in domain names?

SEO strategy, tips & questions. How to optimize web pages. Search engine algorithms. What affects your rankings. This is where you'll find all discussions related to Search Engine Optimization.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

To dash or not to dash in domain names?

Postby Learning » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:40 am

Hi- there :D
I'd like to know if it is better to use dashes or not to use dashes if we are considering SEO.
I have read lots of info about this domain thing- but my specific question is this:
let's say I have a domain title of
www.funparentingideas.com
and I optmize a page in the site for
fun-websites-for-kids.
Would it be better for SEO purposes to have the domain name
www.fun-parenting-ideas.com
or the same domian without dashes?
So my question is - is it easier for the search engines to single out my word fun if it has the dashes separating it?
I hope I didn't confuse y'all :shock:
It's kind of hard to put inot words my exact question.
Eren
Last edited by Learning on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Learning
Elite Member

Postby Mommyland » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:30 pm

From everything I heard its best to not use them because it makes it easier for people to remember.

I would just use the dashes in your pages.
Mommyland
Elite Member

Postby KansasDragon » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:02 pm

KansasDragon

Postby Learning » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:34 am

thanks you guys :D
I have decided not to put dashes in the url since it will be easier to market with video and audio the website name without the dashes. I plan to make vidoes and podacsts as a way of marketing later on.
Learning
Elite Member

Postby MrCat » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:59 am

MrCat

Postby Karen » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:21 am

Karen

Postby James Schramko » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:03 am

James Schramko

Postby cooluks » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:49 am

It doesn't matter if you put dashes or not. It depends on the proper optimization of the site....
cooluks

Postby GaryHarvey » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:44 pm

GaryHarvey

Postby Rick1 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:29 am

Rick1

Postby GaryHarvey » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:59 am

I remember doing some testing with a piece of software
called Nemeas http://eprofitnews.org/nemeas that
gives a profitability score for domain names based
on an extensive survey of top domains for various
keywords.

From memory, dashes always scored lower.

So did the domains that were not .com but
.co.uk usually did well.

Higher scores went to domains with your primary
keyword in them.

Hope this helps,
Gary
http://FindHotMarkets.com/blog -- come visit us...
GaryHarvey

Postby Learning » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:53 pm

Hey Gary thanks or your insight.
I have decided on the on hyphenated for the domain name so that if later I want to market using podcasts and even radio I can easily just say the name of the site and people won't get confused.
I have seen that google does not make preference to hyphenated names in a url domain name.
All the best,
Eren
Learning
Elite Member

Postby GaryHarvey » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:37 am

Hi Eren.

In case I wasn't clear...

dashes = hyphens.

Gary

PS:
My latest blog post...
http://findhotmarkets.com/blog/fix-my-s ... g-computer