[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Another copy cat, but this time stole my list..... • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Another copy cat, but this time stole my list.....

Introduce yourself and your business, tell us why you joined Self-Starters Weekly Tips and brainstorm with fellow members here! General business discussion welcomed. *(Blatant ads will be deleted)

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Another copy cat, but this time stole my list.....

Postby karadawn » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:32 am

Alright I'm REALLY MAD this time, because not only has someone decided to do their own bartering board like the one at Mom's Market, but they pulled every single listing off of it, then emailed everyone this:

------------------------------

My name is {name removed to protect the guilty}, owner of {business name removed}... I have just recently placed a new bartering board on my web site, and saw your barter ad at Mom's Market http://www.momsmarketonline.com/barteringboard.html I am inviting you to place your barter ad at the {name of bartering board} as well.

If you are interested in doing so, please send a reply to this email with the subject line stating "Keep my barter ad the same". In your message, just let me know the name of your site, and I will go copy your ad. (If you would like for the dates to change, let me know that too.)

If you would like to place a completely different barter ad at SkinCare4U,
simply go to the Barter page at my site, and fill in the form with the new
information. I will send you a confirmation email, once your ad has been
placed.

Thank you,

(contact info deleted)

------------------------------------------------

What can I do about this?? I worked hard to provide that board for everyone, and never once emailed someone to put up a listing. They did it on their own!

:evil: :evil: :evil: NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS!
karadawn

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:39 am

A few questions - is this a unique idea that you came up with? Do you charge for listings? Does this "copycat" charge for listings? Are there any other similarities between your page and theirs?

I would probably email your site participants and apologize for the mass solicitation. I would also email the owner of the new board and tell them that you have a copy of their email, and insist that they take the duplicated web page down immediately.

This is really sad...
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby karadawn » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:46 am

Oh no this isn't a unique idea at all, and I"m not really upset about that. There was a bartering board before that several of us use to "hang out" at, but she got busy and walked away from the board.

My problem was that they went and pulled all those emails and the ads off my site. The format looks identical, I'll PM you the site if you want to take a look.

Alright first things first, I'm going to email my participants and appology.

:evil: Still really mad about this
karadawn

Postby WAHumor » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:00 am

Wow, Kara...that's awful!!!

I hope you've got enough on her (especially that email) to shut her down.

Some people just don't want to (or can't) use their own brain, so they steal the creations of others.

Go get 'em, girl!!!
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby karadawn » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:02 am

I sure hope so, I just don't know how to go about shutting her down. This really stinks, big time.

I believe the person that notified me of this email will be turnning her into spam cop, so that will help most deffinately. Maybe the problem will solve itself without me having to email her. ;)
karadawn

Postby WAHumor » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:07 am

Email her anyway!!!

Don't let her intimidate you, Kara...you put a lot of work into that!

Keep it brief, tell her you know what she did and you want her to take it down.

You can end it with something like "I trust no further communications from me will be necessary to resolve this matter".
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:09 am

Forward a copy of the email to her host, with an explanation of the situation. Need more info? Try http://www.betterwhois.com ;)

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby karadawn » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:09 am

I just did before I read this message........boy this deal really ticks me off. I noticed she copied much of my content, so right there is grounds to take the site down. Push comes to shove, I'll go to her host. This is WRONG WRONG WRONG!
karadawn

Postby karadawn » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:10 am

LOL Lynn!! We must have been posting at the same time because I was just thinking that ;)

I think as a "just in case" I'll contact her host.

karadawn

Postby WAHumor » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:13 am

Way to go!!!

Get her where it hurts!
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby karadawn » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:15 am

This is a little confusing, but here is the info I think I need:

Registrar: NAMESDIRECT.COM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.namesdirect.com
Referral URL: http://www.namesdirect.com
Name Server: NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM
Name Server: NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM
Name Server: NS3.MYDOMAIN.COM
Name Server: NS4.MYDOMAIN.COM

So does this mean that I should contact namesdirect.com ?
karadawn

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:15 am

I think its a good step, Kara.
Keep documentation - just in case ;)

Make a screenshot to file along with the rest of it -
You can go to her site, hit the "Print Screen" button
on your keyboard, then open Word or any Image Editing
program and "Paste" - a screenshot of her site will appear.
Good to have on hand in case of any dispute ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:16 am

Not the registrar, the host:
http://www.mydomain.com/

^ contact them ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby karadawn » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:33 am

Thanks Lynn, I'll have to waite until I get the email from the person who notified me of this (she IMed me and then forwarded the email, but I haven't got it yet - what I posted above was from our chat).

I did email the members who were spammed, and also the owner of the site, so going to waite a little bit anyway before contacting the host.

Looking around her site I noticed that wasn't the only thing she stole. I noticed a back to school section with affiliate program links........hmmmmmmmmm :x
karadawn

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:41 am

Ugh... I wonder if she signed up for the programs under you (LOL)

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Next

Return to Introductions & General eBiz Discussion