[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - IF only... • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

IF only...

Introduce yourself and your business, tell us why you joined Self-Starters Weekly Tips and brainstorm with fellow members here! General business discussion welcomed. *(Blatant ads will be deleted)

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

IF only...

Postby Jennifer Hadorn » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:22 pm

There has to be a way for me to open a store. I've thought about having "yard sales" or open houses on the weekends to get start up money.

I doubt seriously if I could get financing. My credit has been shot since college and I don't want to tie up the land I inherited. To open a store would take about 50,000 to get inventory and displays etc.

I'm writing a solid (or so I hope) business plan that outlines my plans to open a store. The only thing is, I have no idea how to do the cash flow part. How the heck are you supposed to predict that if you don't have a working store already?

I've even thought about going in co-op style so that several people will be bearing the expense, but then I'd have to worry about their products and what not.

I'm lost here. Any suggestions?
Jennifer Hadorn

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:28 pm

Hey Jennifer,
I'm curious - what type of store do you want to open? Will you be selling the same products that you have on your website now? I have some thoughts I'd like to share, but more details would really help ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Ryan Grandmaison » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:43 pm

Hello,

I might have the answer to your problems. I participate in an ISP affiliate program... you distribute your own brand of dial-up internet and recieve a portion of the profit. There is a whole ranking system and everything. The more people you have signed up, the more money you make!

For information, go to the following link and click:

www.houseofbigness.tk

From there click the link in the menu that says "Be an Affiliate". It will give you more info and lead you to the sign up process.

You can use the money earned from this program to help fund your store.

Ryan Grandmaison
Big House Web Design
Ryan Grandmaison

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:57 pm

No blatant advertising, please ;)

Ryan, I think this is not the answer for Jennifer - though I'll leave that up to her to decide... but its my opinion that she needs to focus on her current goals with her website and the possibility of an offline store.

If she could raise $50,000 quickly as an ISP Affiliate, why would she want to open a store at all?

Sticking to the topic here, awaiting more details from Jennifer, I think we should concentrate on brainstorming together on ways that she can turn these thoughts into a plan of action.

Jennifer... I've watched you learn and grow, work hard and put a lot of time and energy into your business and your long term goals... I for one believe that you can do this ;) I'm behind you 100%!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Ryan Grandmaison » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:52 pm

Ryan Grandmaison

Postby Jennifer Hadorn » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:39 pm

Jennifer Hadorn

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:12 am

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:59 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Jennifer Hadorn » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:14 pm

Jennifer Hadorn

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:49 pm

Sounds like a good, solid plan, Jennifer!

Feel free to post more specifically either here or in the SEO / e-Publishing categories... I'm sure everyone would be more than happy to jump in and answer questions or offer ideas from an outside perspective!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby americanwahm » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:56 am

I can see that if I were in your shoes I would be really torn! LOL! The store sounds like fun, having a place to display stock and have the big stuff... but it also sounds like a huge time commitment. At least with an online business, you don't have to sit there "minding the website" all day.

:) Kelly
americanwahm
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:30 am

Jennifer - once you get the site updated and rolling the way you want it to, you might consider craft fairs, expos and flea markets. You might also work with a store owner that offers complimentary products and put a display in her store in exchange for promoting a line of her products through your website... a joint venture that would offer you both more exposure and sales. This might be especially profitable through the holiday season.

My first business was offline - an electronics shop. Even after my divorce, when I took on WSN full-time, I ran it out of an office on town square for the first year. Now that I'm home... I wouldnt go back to that lifestyle for anything...

Keep us posted ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Mike Merz » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:17 am

Hey, Jennifer! ;)

If you really have your heart set on opening a brick and mortar shop ...

Find an advisor to work with via search that specializes in your area of interest ... it's free.

I've been associated with them for years ... and give them my highest recommendation.

Regards,
Mike "not a retired executive ... yet" Merz
Last edited by Mike Merz on Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Merz
Elite Member

Return to Introductions & General eBiz Discussion