[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - new here and wondering • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

new here and wondering

Introduce yourself and your business, tell us why you joined Self-Starters Weekly Tips and brainstorm with fellow members here! General business discussion welcomed. *(Blatant ads will be deleted)

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

new here and wondering

Postby adavant » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:23 pm

adavant

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:44 am

Welcome Alyssa :D

If you ARE going to "do it all", then it all needs to be leading towards one primary objective. So for example, if your main goal is your speaking career... then your info products and websites should lead people into that funnel. Make sense?

A lot of us have blogs, websites, info products, social media campaigns, etc... but the goal is to have everything working towards that one main objective (whatever it is).

I'm glad you joined us here. I look forward to getting to know you, and hearing more from you!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby adavant » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:42 pm

Well I have been here before just didn't get involved Lynn, and then I saw you in the Affiliate Expo last night with Kelly and that sparked my curiosity. I guess my question is should I be doing the "service provider" thing as a ghostwriter when I'm trying to make a go of Public speaking / writing for ministry? The thing is I don't know how to make money with my ministry effectively enough to be able to "live off of it" so I'm having to do the Ghostwriter thing to keep the bills paid, but the problem is it doesn't leave enough time in my days to also write for ministry since I have to spend so much time writing for others. Does that make sense?

I do have a few ebooks with one in the works now, and they are in the niche of Christian Tween and Teen girls and their moms, which is what my ministry targets.

Any advice?

Thanks!
adavant

Postby RebeccaJ » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:23 pm

Hello Alyssa,

I am in a similar position where I have a service business that I earn my income with but I am starting my new business and I only have so many hours a day to work!

Lynn posted in her about having at least 3 months worth of living expenses saved up and I think that's reasonable.

This summer I picked up extra contracts so now I can scale it back and work on the new business. It was scary at first but not so much once I get going. Of course, in a few months I might be singing a different story if I don't get working today!

Best of luck to you! :wink:
RebeccaJ
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:43 pm

My advice would be to look at ways you can connect everything that you do. For example, you could offer your services to a micro-niche, specifically the one you really want to be working in, and basically focus all of your work in that one direction.

At the end of the day, you want to be in a position to be known for what it is you do best (or want to do most) to get those opportunities coming your way. Speaking engagements for example.

Good advice from Rebecca and I agree - it helps to put yourself in a position with a bit more of a cushion (financially) so that you have room to work on start-up for the other.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby adavant » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:52 pm

Well the thing is my Ministry isn't really a startup. Its something I have been doing for a long time. Well I started it in January 2005 and it has grown. I started out doing 5-6 speaking events per year, now that has grown.

However as a mom of young children I really cant' do more with my speaking than I do now. I do approximately 12 events per year and I am happy with this, however,

I do want to get into some more writing in more niche focused areas. Problem is in the area of christian writing I havent' found many paid opportunities so for now I mainly ghostwrite on topics such as working from home, internet marketing, etc. Which works but it isnt' my passion!

I do alot of writing for my christian focus but I dont' get paid for it. Does that make sense? Maybe I'm just wanting too much?? What do you think?
adavant

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:01 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby adavant » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:06 am

adavant

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:11 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:15 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin