[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Self-Starter? striving to be one... • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Self-Starter? striving to be one...

Introduce yourself and your business, tell us why you joined Self-Starters Weekly Tips and brainstorm with fellow members here! General business discussion welcomed. *(Blatant ads will be deleted)

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Self-Starter? striving to be one...

Postby createyourdream » Thu May 22, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi, having attended some of the webinars and followed Clicknewz for a few months, I've met many of this group already. I'm glad to be here and looking forward to acting on what I've been learning. For the last few years, I've been exploring online businesses, and I'd say my primary passion has been to create a business that I can do while encouraging harmony at home.

I'm married to Barney, the Chimney Guy, and have a son, Matt, who is 13. Gallagher's Chimney Service is our primary business. Barney works solo doing the chimney work and I manage his business from our home. My goal for the last five years has been to find an alternative source of income that I can enjoy doing and can automate to bring in residual or passive income, long after Barney decides he doesn't want to do chimney work anymore.

Much of what I do doesn't sit right with my husband. In my mistakes, attempts, discouragement, and perseverance, I know there is a way, if not many, to accomplish both harmony at home and building a successful business, so that's what I feel I'm here to do.

Lynn, you suggested something in your webinar a couple weeks ago that I was ready to hear and do: FOCUS on one project! How simple is that, you say?

Very difficult for me, I must say, but it's becoming easier.

ONE Project, ONE focus, ONE Purpose, ONE Action Plan, then the next..

I like writing, online technology, and being on the leading edge of learning. I'm in the process of drilling down Niches I am passionate about and can provide value for a good return. As I act upon what I learn, and follow through with the discipline of implementing it, I'll keep you posted on my progress. Your journey is assisting mine, so thank you, wherever you are in the process.

Best for now,
Mary
createyourdream
Elite Member

Postby Al Smith » Thu May 22, 2008 8:11 pm

Al Smith
Elite Member

Thanks!

Postby createyourdream » Thu May 22, 2008 8:23 pm

createyourdream
Elite Member

Postby Kit Singleton » Fri May 23, 2008 5:01 am

Kit Singleton

Postby ashley059 » Fri May 23, 2008 5:56 am

ashley059

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri May 23, 2008 7:22 am

Hi Mary :D

One of the things that occurred to me when we were talking (in the private forum) is that a business model that compliments your family business might be a good option. I'm not sure how you currently keep in touch with your customer database, but Send Out Cards might just work for you. If you've never looked into it before, talk to David Dutton. He is usually on the webinars, and is also an Elite Member - so you'll find him in the private forum as well.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Cards great idea

Postby createyourdream » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:19 pm

Hi, Lynn,

Yes, that's a terrific way to keep in touch with our customers. I've tried to put a reminder "system" in place, using postcards that one of our vendors created, then hand pulling customers who requested a reminder notice, and printing out address labels from our financial program (Qbooks).

So, that can certainly use improvement and Send Out Cards has been my radar and could be a solution...

Right now, though, a project I'm working on is using Serif PagePlus to create a "Discount/Reminder" postcard to send out to our customers who want a reminder.

To encourage scheduling before August 31st. we are offering $10 off a regular chimney cleaning.

Some may not want to schedule before that time, so we are encouraging referrals.

If the customer passes the postcard to someone who schedules before 8/31, we will give that customer $10 off their next cleaning whenever they get it done this year.

I'm hoping it turns out to be a win-win, with the customer saving some bucks, we will have some happy new and continuing customers, and Barney will be working when he wants to work.

I have a couple variations of copy to test, and I'm using labels with small printing, but hightlighting with different colors and different color fonts.

I'll stagger my mailing to see what gets the most response. This is the most fun I've had in a while!

I realize it's too much work, and I should be automating it, but I like to test the process by hand the first time.
createyourdream
Elite Member

Postby WAHumor » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:41 am

WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby tam2005 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:10 am

Hi Mary,

Nice to meet you. :) Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your posts.
tam2005

Postby Maa » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Maa

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:03 pm

That's a great idea, Mary. The reason I suggested Send Out Cards is because it can work hand-in-hand with your current business, just as you mentioned - but also as a standalone business that you would enjoy personally. When you get a chance, talk to David Dutton. He'll give you a demo walk-through and show you the business side of it.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Follow up

Postby createyourdream » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:47 am

createyourdream
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:08 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Kurt Henninger » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:09 pm

Kurt Henninger

Re: Self-Starter? striving to be one...