[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Home Business vs. Work at Home Job • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Home Business vs. Work at Home Job

Introduce yourself and your business, tell us why you joined Self-Starters Weekly Tips and brainstorm with fellow members here! General business discussion welcomed. *(Blatant ads will be deleted)

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Home Business vs. Work at Home Job

Postby hollyb25 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:48 pm

Hello,

I have always found it interesting when people say things like, "I am not going to pay money to work at home."

I do agree to some extent; be careful who you pay and what you pay for; especially on the internet.

For ten years though I worked for a bank and was continually promoted. Why, because the work I was doing was making them a lot of money. They showed their appreciation by giving me a cost of living raise every year. :cry:

It made me realized something: Everyone I know or know of that is wealthy, either owns their own business or inherited their wealth from someone who did own their own business.

When I started looking into working from home, I refused to work for a paycheck while building long term wealth for someone else. Thankfully, there are many large corporations who realize the benefits of having independent business owners.

You are not paying to work at home; you are either buying a business (in part or full) or the tools to operate a business.

Hopefully, in the long run, your investment will be well worth it.
hollyb25

Postby Peacelovinman » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:40 pm

Peacelovinman

Postby hollyb25 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Yes, it can turn into a job if you are not careful. When it is your own business, it is easy to get lost in it.

Thankfully, my business is now at a point that autopilot is on. However, I am addicted so I just can't pull myself away!

However, I only work when I want to now and that is a great feeling!
hollyb25

Postby alexc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:25 pm

I have to agree with you here. My parents own their own computer shop and they started from pretty much nothing, running the shop out of the basement of our home for a few years before they had enough capital and customer base to warrant getting a store front. It does take time and money both to get a successful business up and running.
alexc

Postby WAHumor » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:15 am

WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby tam2005 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:09 pm

tam2005

Postby hollyb25 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:56 pm

Yes, that is good news, especially for moms who want to stay home. However, I hope to never have a "job" again, even from home.

I love the freedom and especially the money I make working for myself.
hollyb25

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:54 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Working from Home...

Postby Lucidboomer » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:07 pm

Lucidboomer

Working from home is wonderful...

Postby dagmar » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:35 pm

Yes, I agree with the JOB term. I did it for 12 years.

Being able to stay home and be in full control of everything (home and work) is wonderful. It's called freedom. :)

Money is always needed, in any "job" or "work". Even money to keep learning, investing in knowledge, I think is essential.

Dagmar
dagmar

Postby annalaurabrown » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:04 am

It always surprises me when I call someone who has requested information about a home business but then they do not want to invest any money. What do they not understand about the word "business"? Any business will require some money even those that claim to be free to start will not go far without investing money eventually. Many of the supposed work from home jobs are scams so in any case, if you want to work from home then having your own business is the best bet.
annalaurabrown
Elite Member

Postby alwaysno1 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:10 pm

All business require hardworking, time and some money in the begining. But one things comes before all above three things is that: Are you investing your time, money and energy in the right direction?

If yes then you will definetly get good results.
alwaysno1

Working from Home

Postby James Clark » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Recently, I just made the transition from the job market to working from home on a full time basis. Must admit, never really had a job that was difficult. Since college, had a full time position with Penguin Books, based out of London. They later merge with Viking press. Boy was that fun!

Had an air travel card, and travel around the world. When I came home to the states The company gave me a car, and expense account. I traveled through Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio. Later became the regional manager, and move on to various other Marketing Positions.

Can tell you this, working from home is fun also, but let warn you. It’s not what you think it is. A typical day for me starts with getting up at 4:30 in the morning, and making a pot of coffee, and walking the dog.

Hate doing the technical stuff, so I outsource all most all of it. Spend all day writing, and writing, until about 9:30 or 10:00. But, I love every moment. Work on Saturday and Sunday sometimes, but not all day. Don’t watch TV, maybe the news while having a glass of wine.

Now, here is the fun part. The freedom!! Whenever my wife I want to, pick and go. We did it the week before Thanksgiving, we went up to Foxwoods, and stayed at the MGM Grand

Have a laptop, and while she is sleep I work (LOL) well what are going to do? If I had to give someone advice on how to achieve this, it would be this. Just start writing everyday, and keep during it as long as you can. Write in forums, message boards, you name it. If you are not a good writer than take a basic writing course, and get going.

I wrote a book about the mindset you need to have. Click on the link in my signature file, in the mean time if you have any questions, just email me. Glad to help anyone.

Jimmy.
James Clark

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:54 am

Welcome Jimmy :)

I have to agree with your point on freedom & flexibility. I put in my fair share of hours as well, but I also take random day trips and travel when & where I please.

I just got back from a 2-week trip to Australia, and am about to book a return trip to take the kids. Life is good! But yes, in between... I do quite a bit of writing too ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Return to Introductions & General eBiz Discussion